Chapter 3

Near the city, there is a wildlife reserve. Multiple kinds of North American animals inhabit it. It mostly consists of small animals, deer, elk, caribou and other herbivores. To maintain the balance of the local ecosystem, some predators are living in the preserve, but the main species of carnivores are the wolves.

A family has lived in this forest for generations and purchased the land. Since then, they created an animal haven, a reserve for wild animals. There are no visitors allowed and even less hunting since the purpose of this place is to make as lifelike as possible. At least, that is what it's said to ordinary people. Since the animal reserve is only a facade. This whole private area is, in fact, the home of a kind of supernatural being. They are the werewolves.

It is well known that werewolves and vampires don't get along because of a long history of unfortunate misunderstanding, hatred and revenge. So, they usually avoid each other. But presently, a group of five persons seems in a hurry while trying to walk through the dense and confusing forest of the reserve.

One man, in particular, is more frantic than the others. He can feel his dying mate through the bond they are sharing. He too is losing to the hunger that they both share. His name is Nikolas, a vampire of pure blood. After being attacked by the enforcers, the couple flees and gets separated. While escaping, Micah, Nikolas' mate, unexpectedly enters the Silverback pack territory. To retrieve Micah, the group of vampires is now struggling to find him before the werewolves do.

"Do you even know where he is?" Matthias asks out of breath. It has been more than two days that they are walking without a break. They know the danger of trespassing in an area claimed by the werewolves.

"Yes and no," Nikolas answers as he senses their confusion raising.

"What do you mean?" Katie asks calmly instead of Matthias since the eldest sibling was about to burst in anger.

"He is with the Silverback pack, but I don't know where the pack actually is."

"Great, awesome! Let's just camp here for the month too," Matthias grumbles still frustrated by their situation, the cold temperature and their hunger.

"Behave," Alice warns the oldest child as he stays silent while pouting and kicking the small rocks around.

The family continues to walk in silence as it slowly starts to snow. As they walk randomly in the forest, the frustration starts to get to everyone when they notice visible footprints in the snow. It is also not helping that the sun is setting down. Naturally, vampires can see in the dark, but even though they don't need to sleep, they were physically and mentally tired.

As everybody pitches in for setting camp as it slowly takes form. Any experienced camper would notice that the siblings aren't used to live in the wild. However, it is not the case for the parents. They are fast and effective while guiding their children through the process. It is as if they did it multiple times before even if they don't look to be the kind of people going to do this kind of activity.

Eventually, the wood for the fire pit is ready, and the sleeping bags are laid around it. Alice takes out some protein bars along with two bottles of water from the loaded backpack Michael has been carrying all day. Thanks to her thoughtfulness, she had prepared an emergency bag before the enforcers attacked their safe house.

As the sky gets darker, the temperature also decreases. Consequently, the family gathers around the fire while silently eating their dry protein bar and cold water. The moon only appeared for a while and everyone has already fallen asleep in their sleeping bags except for one man. Nikolas is blankly staring at the fire while poking the burning wood once in a while to keep it alive. Even in the dark, the bags under his eyes are still visible, but the man can't sleep. It is not like he doesn't want to, but he just can't. Each time he closed his eyes, he can picture his mate dying under a lot of pain.

The next morning at dawn, they will already pack everything and ready to go. Like yesterday, the morale is still pretty weak as they blindly walk through the forest. Suddenly, they hear a branch crack and leaves being ruffled. They all tense up and prepare themselves to fight. At the same time, they all let out their aura flow out as a warning to not come any closer. With the tense atmosphere, the air gets quickly heavier as it is now hard to breathe. Slowly, a paw comes out of the shadow. At that moment, the head of a wolf can be seen. Their gazes meet each other as they silently stare at each other. The animal sits down on his rear as his ears move around. They all know that it is not an ordinary wolf because of its size, but they are puzzled by the reason he is not attacking them.

Out of nowhere, they found themselves being surrounded by four other wolves. The sitting wolf quickly shifts to his human form and takes a step forward.

"Is one of you looking for a lost mate?" he asks as Nikolas glares at him.

"What if I am?" Matthias answers in my place knowing that I am ready to kill that man if anything happens to Micah.

"What's your name?" the wolf asks my brother.

"Nikolas," The man nods as if confirming something, "Come with me. Your mate is waiting for you with the Alpha."

"And you think I will believe you?" Matthias states as a matter of fact since we all know that they don't like outsiders.

"If I were you, I would hurry. Who knows how long he will stay alive without you."

On the way to the Silverback pack, the same werewolf explains everything to them concerning Micah. They were surprised to hear that Micah wasn't treated as a prisoner but as a guest. They couldn't believe it at first and thought that the werewolf was lying but as the story goes on, they can't seem to find any discrepancies.

As they get closer to the packhouse, Alice and Matthias start to look more and more uncomfortable. It is no secret that Alice hates their species, but Matthias is also strongly reacting which is unnatural of him. Therefore, when Alice glares at one werewolf that happens to make eye contact with her, the person returns her hostility. It is no secret that both vampires and werewolves hate each other because of their history. Despising each other is the norm.

So imagine the shock when both Matthias and Daniel see each other for the first time. Their gazes lock as they both try to refute what their senses are telling them. The palpitations, the alluring scent and the incredible pull tell them that they are both mates. In a mere matter of seconds, they get to the same conclusion. They must keep their relationship a well-kept secret. No one can ever know about it.

As Nikolas runs toward the house to seek his mate, Daniel follows closely since he won't let a vampire into his territory without any surveillance. With a mind of its own, Matthias' body rushes to follow the Alpha who disappeared through the entrance of the mansion. Even if his mind refuses to accept it, his heart already has.

I hope you guys enjoyed it and if you're confused, this chapter is a flashback ;)