Chapter 38

Matthias POV

I didn’t sign up for this. How Daniel lived like that every day is beyond my imagination. It has to change or I could leave somewhere far away. Somewhere they can’t find me.

“Here you go, Alpha,” Tricia places another stack of papers in front of me.

I stare at it and as if on cue, my phone rings. Without looking at the ID, I already know it’s the managers of the hotels calling me. I remember asking them to give me monthly reports, but this is a conspiracy.

Grabbing the ringing object, I place it next to my ear. I listen to the human talk and talk and talk about the hotels I own. Maybe I should let my secretary write summaries of these monthly reports. I just hope she didn’t resign yet. Before I can place my phone down, it rings again. This time, the caller is a vampire working at one of my covents.

After a million and one phone call later, I rub my eyes and take a sip of water before standing up. Stretching my arms above my head, I sigh when my joints pop.

“Where are you going?” Tricia intercepts me before I can run for it.

“Taking a break.”

She eyes the mountain of papers that barely diminished. “I don’t think so. At this pace, you won’t be done before tomorrow morning.”

“It’s nothing. It’ll be completed before dinner.”

Unconvinced, she places her hands on her hips. “That’s what you said before lunch,” she frowns before pinching the bridge of her nose. “Alpha, you need to complete everything before tonight. There are some matters that can’t be delayed any longer.”

“Why is there so much paperwork, anyway?” I ask as I sit back down behind Daniel’s desk.

“This is what one week’s vacation does.”

“I thought you were handling everything,” I answer in surprise.

“I did. These are only the documents you need to approve,” she nods toward the tower of papers.

“Unbelievable,” I mutter before reaching for the next file. “I thought a werewolf life revolved around hunting and training.”

“Mostly, but you’re the Alpha. These are duties you need to take care of.”

“How’s the pack doing?” I ask vaguely while reading the words written one after the other.

“Better than expected. Words travel fast and your care for the omegas helped. On the other hand, some of the higher-ranked werewolves fault you for it.”

“In a life ruled by hierarchy, I must be rising a lot of dissatisfaction,” I mumble mostly to myself. “Thank you.”

Tricia bowed as Leigh knocked on the open door. I inwardly sighed but still mentioned for the Delta of the pack to come in. He briefly reported the sighting of a rogue while the hunters were hunting. I sit up straighter and give him my full attention.

“Is anyone hurt?” I ask at the end of his speech.

“No, the rogue ran away when they chased it,” he answered as I nodded. “However, they lost the herd of deers they tracked.”

Great, just what I needed on top of my list of chores. “They have nothing.”

“That’s right. Alpha Daniel told me to ask you for your orders.”

A test, this is a test. It hasn’t been long since I gained my new title, but I don’t have the luxury to roll around. I now have a pack to lead, mouths to feed, people to protect. Unlike my covents, I can delegate and be free of worry since I’m the preceptor — the vampire responsible for the newly turned vampire — of most of them. They can’t disobey me. My word is the law. We also share a special bond.