Chapter 29

Daniel POV

I sit behind the dining table in my parent's house. I patiently wait in silence as my mother prepares the refreshments. As for my father, the former Alpha is sitting in front of me with his arms crossed. He may have retired, but he hasn't lost his edge. If needed, he can still defend himself and the pack and I admire him for that. He hasn't gone back on what he taught me since I was only a pup. A high rank comes with responsibilities. No one will receive a free meal without completing his duties, even the Alpha.

Before sitting next to her mate, my mother places down a cup of iced herb infusion in front of us. I take a sip and smile at the familiar taste.

While my father was the former Alpha, my mother is a healer. Although she is retired, she sometimes helps two or three days a week.

My father taught us a sense of duty and trained us to be strong werewolves, and my mother cared and nurtured us with love. She has always been there when we needed her, and she still is.

"It is an honour to receive the Alpha in our humble house," they greet politely as I hide my sadness at their greeting.

When I come here for a family dinner, with laughs and warmth always filled our home. Unfortunately today, I came as their Alpha. It is something I never liked, but it is how it is. Right now, I'm first their Alpha and then their son.

"I apologize for coming unannounced," I simply answer as they both shake their head.

"It is not a bother at all. The honour is ours."

"Good," I nod. "The subject of my visit is about my mate. I came here to proclaim it. Of course, the pack already knows about it, but Matthias was never formally introduced as a member of the pack. Eric, you're the former Alpha of the Silverback pack. I came here to ask for your support in my union with my mate."

In this pack, the Alpha has to approve the mating of all individuals since there were no divorce options. There is no exception. Even the Alpha needs approval. The only person to do that is the former Alpha. If the latter is no longer of this world, the former Beta will take over the role.

"Our Alpha mating with a vampire is not something that ever happened before. There will be people against it and I am not keen on the idea either," Eric explains as cold sweat drips down on my back. "However, I have heard the man protected an omega of this pack. Nurture him well, so he can become the one you rely on and bring our pack to greater heights."

I close my eyes in relief. "Thank you for your blessing."

"No need for it. Your mate, although a vampire, is not a bad person. But once your relationship is official, he needs to prioritize the pack. It will be his duty as your equal and yours to enforce it," Eric warns.

"Of course."

"Good. Is there anything else?" Eric resumes his polite and submissive tone.

"Yes, I have a question. Right now, I'm here as your son, who wants to hear his parents’ honest opinion."

My parents look at each other before my mother smiles lovingly, as she always does when I come home for our family dinner.

"What is it?" She asks as her voice soothes me.

"What do you really think about Matthias? I know he's a vampire, but as a person?" I ask nervously.

"Before I can answer, bring him in for dinner,” she smiles warmly.

"I will," I nod as she seems happy to meet him.

"And his family too," she adds as my smile disappears.

"I don't think his parents will come. His mother has profound hate for us, werewolves. He went to tell them, but I don't think we can host that dinner yet."
"That's a shame," my mother answers in disappointment. "I'll settle for that young man in the meantime. So make sure you bring him next time!"

Ψ( ◉ཅ◉ )Ψ

I wait at the entrance of the packhouse as I can feel Matthias’ presence getting closer. Soon enough, he parks his cars next to the other ones. As he is getting out of the vehicle, I walk toward him, so we meet in the middle of the road. I don’t need to see his expression to know he is stressed. I can smell it. Also, I highly doubt that it went well too.

Without a word, I welcome him into my arms. He accepts it without hesitation and it brings a smile to my face. I close my eyes and caress his back, hoping it’ll bring him some comfort.

We walk our way back to the yard in silence as some kids run by. Matthias smiles a little for the first time since he came back as he ruffles a girl’s hair. She giggles before pushing my mate’s hand away to join her friends. We sit down on a patch of grass isolated from everyone else.

“How did it go?” I finally ask, although I already know the answer. “That bad,” I add when he says nothing.

He nods while pulling a few strands of grass out. “But now she knows and my dad is on my side, surprisingly.”

“You sound surprised.”

“Let’s say it rarely happened.”

“I’m not surprised,” I answer without hesitation as Matthias punches me on my arm.

“What is that supposed to mean?” he shouts before grumbling to himself once again. “This is unbelievable…”