Chapter 12

Matthias POV

"Sir," I hear someone call while gently shaking my shoulder. I groan and bury my head under the pillow hoping the person would go away. "Sir, it's time to wake up."

I swat the hand away. "Leave me alone," I mumble in irritation, but she doesn't get it. She keeps pestering me. "You better have a good reason," I exclaim when I couldn't take it any longer.

"Sir, wake up. You have an appointment in less than an hour."

I frown before rubbing my eyes with a yawn. "A meeting? What time is it?" Why do I feel so exhausted? I sit up as I can feel her eyes on my body when the bedsheets slide down.

"It's already two in the afternoon," she answers after a few seconds of silence as I let out a curse.

"Thank you. I'll be downstairs in a bit."

My secretary leaves my bedroom as I push the bedsheets covering my naked body away. As soon as I sit up, I feel a terrible headache grounding into my temples. It gets worse when I stand up. A wave of nausea makes me want to vomit and faint at the same time. I wish I could use painkiller pills, but it doesn't work on us vampires. So, I'll just have to bear with it. Hopefully, it will go away soon enough.

Once I get my morning routine done, I head downstairs to get a glass of water, some coffee and something quick to eat before heading out to the meeting. With my breakfast in my hands, my secretary opens the main entrance for me and once again with the car door.

On the way to the place where I'll meet Martin Raymond to see the finished products, my headache and nausea worsened. Even with food in my stomach is not enough to cure it. For the first time, I may have motion sickness. I had a look at my secretary whose eyes are fixed on the road as she drives, I quickly grab a blood pack from a refrigerated container I keep at the back of the car. I quickly open it by ripping the top with my teeth before downing it fast, so I don't have a chance to try the foul taste. This should do it.

"Sir, we are here," she turned around in her seat. "Sir, are you alright? You're sweating a lot."

Using my handkerchief, I wipe the sweat away before nodding. "I'm good. Let's go."

I open the car door before stepping out of the vehicle. I tie the first button on my suit and head toward the tall building mainly made of glass. As I approach the front door, it automatically opens as I step into the lobby. My secretary goes to the reception area to inform of my arrival while I sit on the sofa near the elevators.

I try to keep my distance from the other people present. Something in here stinks. I close my eyes and hope that my nausea goes away. Until I realize what the pungent odour is. It's the scent of blood. It smells exactly like the blood in the blood bags I feed on. I frown as I try to ignore the smell. It is similar to sour milk. It only makes me gag when I try to breathe with my mouth.

I have heard that when you taste the blood of your mate for the first time, it is the best thing on Earth. It is like you when you finally get the chance to eat what you have been craving for so long without realizing it. After tasting it once, nothing will be comparable to it. I wonder how Daniel's blood will taste. I can't wait.

While thinking about drinking Daniel's blood, I feel my canines pushing against my gums. I immediately sit up to stare at my feet. This is not good. I hope no one has noticed my red eyes. I even had a dose earlier today, so why am I craving it so bad right now? I have never lost control before.

Almost instantly, my stomach starts to churn in discontentment as I place a hand in front of my mouth. All the blood I drank earlier is blocked in my throat. I have to go to the bathroom fast. I sit up a little too quickly and lose my balance as I fall back on the sofa. The world won't stop turning as I try to get a hold of something.