Chapter 42

Matthias POV

“I’m hungry,” I mentioned to no one in particular as I read yet another document about the pack’s finance.

Tricia, who was examining the other pile, frowned. “Lunch was only an hour ago?”

I moistened my lips as I found it hard to concentrate. I couldn’t remember the last time I fed. All these Alpha duties were overwhelming. Because we were so busy, I kept pushing the urge to feed to another day. My stomach clenched at the thought of blood. I groaned in pain.

“Are you alright?” the Beta asked worriedly.

I shook my head to clear my vision. My stomach must have been empty for more days than I thought. We haven't drawn blood from Daniel since I began feeding directly from him, thinking it was unnecessary.

“Call Daniel for me,” I told her as I felt my fangs push against my gums. “No one else comes in this office. Hurry!”

I heard her walk away in a hurry and closed the door behind her. Slowly, I breathe in and out as I try to forget about any thoughts about hunger and my mate. Once I thought I got it under control, another cramp seized me.

The door opened and something in me snapped. I violently pushed the office desk away from me as it crashed into the wall. I hissed before pouncing on the person who entered the room. Pushing him to the ground, I tightened my grip on their arms. Panting, buried my nose into the crook of his neck. I felt the pulse of his heartbeat and salivated. Unable to resist anymore, I sunk my teeth into my victim’s neck. Easily piercing the skin, I felt the sweet nectar gushing into my mouth. I felt waves of pleasure wash over me as I eagerly sucked down mouthful after mouthful. Gradually, I felt my hunger subside. Retracting my fangs from the neck, I sadly stare at the injury.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered as I pushed my palm against his wound to minimize the bleeding.

My mate placed his hand over mine. “Why didn’t tell me sooner?”

“We were busy.”

“Next time, don’t wait,” he scolded before pulling my hand away, revealing his healed neck. 

I sighed in relief before closing my eyes.

“Alright, let’s clean this mess,” he gently pushed me off of him. “And cheer up, your face is enough to make onions cry.”

I laughed at his poor attempt to cheer me up. “Onions,” I mumbled before standing up to get the desk.

Daniel helped me straighten up the office. All the papers dispersed on the floor made me want to burn them. If I could, I would have hired an accountant. I was ready to commit if I didn't have to look at those papers again, but I would need to brainwash him every day.

With two pairs of hands, it didn’t take long to clean up the office. Suddenly, both our phones rang. We glanced at each other before answering.

“Daniel.”

“Matthias,” I answered at the same time.

“You sound tired,” Nikolas commented.

I cleared my throat. “I’m alright. Been busy the last couple of weeks.”

“Right.”

I rolled my eyes at his silliness. “Is it Micah who’s talking to Daniel right now?” I asked as Daniel confirmed with a nod.

“Yes,” my brother sighed. “It will be Milana's first birthday in a few days.”

“You don’t sound happy.”

“It’s about mom. She wasn’t happy to hear Daniel was invited. Although she said she wouldn’t go if he came, she was determined to be there for her granddaughter’s anniversary.”

I rolled my eyes, at our mother’s pettiness. If he were to leave Daniel out of the invitation, I would be furious. “I warn you if you dare-”

“Calm down,” Nikolas interrupted. “Micah and I will hold two birthday parties.”

“Alright, what’s the catch?”

“You have to be present for both.”

“And Daniel is to be left out on the second,” I grumbled.

“The first one will be with friends and the second with family.”

“He is family! He’s my mate.”

“Matthias, please. I’m not in the mood to argue about this for a second time today.”

“We didn’t leave on the brightest note. She won’t miss my absence.”

“Matthias-”

“I’m sorry, but no. She’ll have to learn the world doesn’t always turn around her. Daniel and I will be present for Milana’s birthday, but we will leave afterwards.”

“Alright,” Nikolas sighed once again. “We will expect you in three days at six.”

“Bye.”

I ended the call and tossed my phone on the desk.

“Didn’t go too well,” my mate commented as he concluded his phone call earlier.

“You tell me,” I grumbled before heavily sitting down next to my mate on the sofa. “Micah must have told you.”

“You should go. I don't mind being left out of a vampire-filled house.”

“I bet you won’t.” I grinned. “But this is not the problem.”

“We best prepare. I heard it’s a few days trip.”

“A few days?” I asked as Nikolas didn’t mention it.

“Yes, so you better finish that,” he eyed the pile of documents.

I groaned. “We should really hire an accountant. I hate this.”

“If you can find a werewolf with an accounting degree,” Daniel patted my leg before standing up. He walked toward the door and opened it.

“We should switch places.”

“See you later.”

He closed the door behind him, leaving me alone with that wretched pile of documents. Accepting my fate, I went back behind the desk to complete my task.