Chapter 30

Matthias POV

I stare at my phone for the nth time today. My mother has been consistently calling me since this morning and it doesn’t look like she’ll stop until I answer. I refuse the call and block her number. I already said what had to be said. It frustrates me she doesn't even try to understand me. I’m done to be the one that has to please her.

I place my phone into my back pocket and head down the stairs. Once I reach the living room, all eyes are on me. I understand their wariness around me and I don’t blame them. In fact, I prefer it this way. I still need time to adjust to this new environment.

On my way to the yard to join Daniel, I notice Jack in a corner. He looks as small and skittish as I remembered. But at least, he isn’t being bullied. Surrounded by elder women, they do the laundry together. He looks a lot more comfortable around them. He must have noticed my gaze lingering on him because we make eye contact. I smile and give him a wave. His cheeks heated and immediately averted his gaze. But then he shyly waved back before going back to his chores.

As the inside of the packhouse is filled with women and young werewolves, the yard screams testosterone. The smell of sweat and grunts permeates the entire area. The air is so thick with their scent. It makes me gag. Covering my nose with my hand, I sit on the edge of the porch, refusing to get a step closer.

While some of them are in werewolf form running and growling at each other, there is another group training as they spar against each other in their human form. They must have shifted recently because both men and women are naked. I’m also surprised to see that the man supervising this activity is no other than the Alpha himself and he is also naked.

As Daniel supervises the training session, I take my time to analyze his body. It is unfortunate that I can only see the backside. But there is still plenty to look at. While he has definite muscles, they are not bulging out like sausages. His upper and lower body is well balanced. Since he is always outside, he has a beautiful tan which makes me jealous.

Almost an hour later, the training session finally ends. As the group disperses to take a shower or linger around waiting for the food to be ready, Daniel makes his way to me.

As sweaty werewolves got closer to me, I had to convert my nose with my hand. Their stench is nauseating.

"Good morning," Daniel greets.

"Good morning," I answer as I uncover my nose before he suspects something.

Although I'm a vampire and technically dead, I still need to breathe. So when Daniel sits down next to me, I get a whiff of his body odour. I frown and lean closer to him as I sniff.

"What are you doing?" Daniel asks as he pushes me away.

"You don't stink!" I explain happily.

"Excuse me?"

"You don't stink like the others," I answer before leaning towards him once more. "It is musky."

"Okay," he answers, weirded out before sliding away from me.

"Hey, where are you going?" I grab his arm, so he stays close enough. "It's also a bit sweet."

"Alright, I'm taking a shower," Daniel stands up.

"But I don't mind it? Maybe some clothes would be nice," I say, trying not to let my eyes wander south.

Daniel raises one of his perfect eyebrows. “I still need to shower and you have to change into something more appropriate.”

I look down at my loose tank top and ripped jeans. "What's wrong with my clothes?"

"We're going out. Let's meet next to my car in twenty minutes."

Before I can ask where the man is gone. How can I know what is appropriate if I don't know where we are going?

"Is this a date?" I mumble to myself as the realization hits me.

I get to my feet and quickly make my way to my bedroom. I slam open the closet's door and consider my options. Daniel isn't a man that likes the city. Therefore, it is unlikely he'll bring me to a place infested with humans. In the end, I opt for casual and comfortable clothing.

With a few minutes to spare, I wait beside Daniel's car. It is not the car I prefer, but an SUV is not bad either, especially in these kinds of terrains.

"Let's go," Daniel exclaims as he unlocks the car before sitting in the driver's seat.

I follow suit and sit next to him on the passenger's side. "So, are you willing to tell me where we are going?"

Daniel smiles, "you'll see."

I continue and try to guess our destination. After a few minutes, I give up. No matter what I named, it was always a negative answer. Even when I asked for a hint, his lips were sealed.

Around fifteen minutes later, he finally parks the car. I analyze my surroundings and sigh. It looks like a park, but it looked eerily empty. We are also close to the pack, so maybe we are still on private property.

After we both exit the car, I stretch my arm above my head. As I turn around to face Daniel, I see a pair of pants flying into the car. My jaw drops to the ground, as my mate is now completely naked.

“What are you doing?” I shout while trying to whisper at the same time. I look around us, hoping no human would report him to the police.

“Calm down, there is no one, but us here,” he answers calmly before shifting into his wolf form.

I watch his bones move to new positions as black fur breaks through his skin. Within a minute, he loses his human form but gains another. The oversized black wolf stretches his front and back legs. While he looks intimidating, I can’t stop and remember the time we shared a bed. His fur is so soft and fluffy. I try very hard to not bury my face into his body.

With one look, I understand he wants me to follow him, and I do. Walking side to side, I slowly take in the surroundings. The silence and the peacefulness of this place make me realize how stressed I was. It’s really nice.

After a pleasant walk, Daniel lay down and rest his head on his front paws. I sit down next to him, so I lean my back next to him. Warmth envelops me as his scent fills my nostrils. As I lean on my mate’s back, I can hear his steady heartbeat, accompanied by the chirping of birds. Before I know it, my eyelids get heavier and I slowly fall into a comfortable slumber.