Chapter 33

Daniel POV

“Are you ready?” Matthias asks as he wore semi-formal clothes.

I straighten up my shirt before nodding. “Yeah, let’s go.”

I bite the inside of my cheek as I walk past him without sparing a glance. It’s childish and I shouldn’t be acting like this. He was right. Claudia needed to learn, and his method is the fastest way. But she has always been sheltered and I can’t stand seeing her injured.

With my hand on the doorknob, I hesitate. I can feel Matthias’s presence behind me, but he doesn’t say a word. We haven’t been talking for almost a week now. It is mostly my fault since I was the one ignoring him. But I don’t know what to say. I never had to explain myself before. People usually obeyed me without a fuss.

“What’s wrong?” he asks after a while.

I sigh and let go of the doorknob. Let’s get this over with. “I’m sorry.”

Matthias stays silent, so I take the opportunity to explain myself.

“You were right about Claudia. I shouldn’t have acted this way. It was childish,” I add as I stare at my feet.

“Pfff,” I hear Matthias trying to stifle his laugh as he is now in front of me.

“What?” I say in annoyance.

“You should have seen your face,” he laughs, unable to contain it anymore.

“I’m happy it makes you laugh,” I mumble before pushing him away from the door.

“Wait, wait, wait,” he called as he grabbed my shoulder before I could walk out of the room. “It was a joke. I was never mad and I understand what you felt, really.”

“Then, why?”

“Why did I ignore you?” he asks, as I nod as an answer. “Because you were so cute!”

“Cute?”

“Yes, like a cute lost pup,” Matthias explains with a smile before ruffling my hair.

“Stop,” I push his hand away. “I can’t believe this.”

I walk away as he chases me. “So… Are we alright?”

I stop and turn at him as he catches up. I smile, and he smiles back. I take a step forward and he takes a step back until I have him against the wall. I place my hands on each side of his head.

“What are you doing?” he asks with a smirk.

“What do you think I’m doing?” I whisper as we are nose to nose.

“Is that the game we’re playing?” he slightly tilts his head to the side.

I pause a moment before smirking back. “It seems so.”

“Your parents are waiting for us.”

“I’m sure they can forgive us for being a little late.”

We stare at each other in the eyes before I lean in for a kiss and he welcomes me into an embrace. I am about to take control when he does the same. We both fight for dominance and none of us will let it go without a fight. It is only when we run out of air that we both retreat for now.

Matthias licks his lips. “What’s wrong, mister Alpha? Never had a challenge before?”

I detest when people challenge my authority. It is in my nature to be at the top as the others listen and obey. Somehow, after hearing this, I don’t receive it as a threat. Instead, my heart beats faster as a new challenge has arisen. We will both have to fight until one of us falls into submission.

“You better be careful. You may have bitten more than you can chew,” I answer as my mouth salivates. His neck is so close. His scent is everywhere. I have to mark him. I need to do it. If I do, I win. If I do, he’s mine!

“Ah, ah, ah,” Matthias pushes my back, as more space is now in between us. “Don’t even think about it. Your parents are waiting.”

Without his scent clouding my senses, I quickly gain back control. I close my eyes and take a big breath before clearing my throat. “Let’s go.”

As I lead the way, I refuse to turn around. In fact, I can’t. If I do, I’m certain Matthias has a big foolish smile plastered on his face and he’ll say weird things again. I’m not sure if he means them or he’s just teasing me.

After a short while, I knock at the front door of my parent’s home. I already know they won’t say anything bad against my mate, but I still want their relationship to be genuine.

It doesn’t take long before my mother opens the door. “Welcome!” she greets cheerfully before letting us in.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Matthias,” my mate presents himself before offering his hand for a handshake.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Lucy, Daniel’s mother,” she accepts the handshake. “And this is my mate.”

“I’m Eric,” my dad presented himself as he stands next to mom.

“Nice to meet you,” Matthias once again offers his hand.

My dad doesn’t even look at it and keeps eye contact with my mate. “Nice to meet you,” he finally says before powerfully shaking his hand.

“And I’m Claudia! But you already knew that,” my sister smiles as pops out from behind my parents.

“Well, let’s eat. You must all be famished,” my mother adds before leading us to the dining room.

As we all take a seat around the table, multiple dishes are already placed on it. As usual, most of them are filled with fresh cuts of elk meat with an occasional vegetable side dish.

“Wow, that’s a lot of raw meat,” Matthias chuckles nervously as he looks around, wide-eyed.

“A nice and healthy diet,” my mother smiles before taking a piece of seared steak for herself. As she cuts into it, bright red meat is shown as blood pools out a little.

Everyone digs in as meat quickly piles up on everyone’s plate. As I’m munching on some meat, I see Matthias feasting on vegetables and some bits and pieces of cooked meat.

“Is it not to your liking?” my dad asks as he wipes his mouth with a napkin.

“It’s delicious,” my mate smiles.

“Then, you should eat more,” my mom adds before placing three more pieces of very thick and almost raw meat on his plate.

I hold my smile as he glares at the recent addition on his plate. With his fork and knife, he reluctantly digs in.

“Have some of this too, it’s delicious,” Claudia also adds more food to Matthias’ plate.

“Thanks,” Matthias forces out a smile as he brings a red piece of meat in his mouth. “It’s delicious,” he adds after chewing and swallowing it.

“I’m happy to hear that. I’ll be expecting you for our weekly dinners,” my mother smiles as Matthias replicates the gesture.

When everyone else’s attention shifts away, Matthias glances at me before mouthing the word help.