Chapter Four

It's been a few mornings and nights since Metanoia's arrival to Neverland, several days of being battered like a rag-doll in every training sessions, and several days of being ridiculed and tormented by Pan's snarky comments and demeaning looks, not to mention the uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach every time Denzel shot her a murderous glare, or David and James finding every opportunity to touch her or stand uncomfortably close to her.

She sighed in fatigue as she set her heavy sword on the ground, the metal clattering as it hit the bark of a tree nearby, and she wiped her sweaty forehead in exhaustion. Metanoia winced in pain as she moved, for in today's training session, Pan had paired her up with Liam, and he did not take it easy on her. She couldn't be mad at him, not when the she knew he only intended to hurt her due to Pan's close eye on the two of them.

As she slowly made her way back to camp, Metanoia's shoulders slumped forward in dismay upon the realisation that she still had a daily task to fulfill.

"Hey, Noia - is it okay if I call you Noia?" David's voice rang behind her as he caught up to her through their short journey back to camp.

As he walked alongside her, Metanoia grunted in response to his question, her mind occupied by the new bruises and cuts she earned earlier.

David smirked in response and nodded his head. "I'll take that as a yes."

As soon as he said that, James appeared by her other side and smiled at her in greeting.

She sighed. "What's up, guys?"

"Well, we don't mean to pour salt on your wounds, but we couldn't help but notice how much you suck at combat and weapon handling." David started bluntly, causing Metanoia to scowl and roll her eyes.

She did not miss the way James bit his lower lip to stop himself from emitting a laugh.

"Yeah, I'm well aware of my lack of skill, thanks." She responded drily.

"We're not here to make fun of you, Noia." James clarified, his voice sounding sincere, but Metanoia was still wary of his intentions.

David nodded fervently. "On the contrary, darling. We actually wanna help."

Metanoia raised an eyebrow expectantly. "Don't call me darling ... what kind of help though?"

Denzel was heard behind them scoffing loudly, causing the three of them to glance backwards. David rolled his eyes and placed his hand on Metanoia's lower back and gently pushed her to look forward again.

"Don't mind him. He's just an ass." He said airily.

"You don't need to say it for me to notice that." Metanoia huffed irritably as she yanked on the hem of her shirt stressfully.

"Anyway," James started. "We can help you train better during our free hours. You know, giving you a better chance of passing the trials."

Metanoia furrowed her eyebrows hesitantly, her eyes darting back and forth between the two boys as the three of them walked forward and finally entered camp.

"Let me get this straight." Metanoia piped up and stopped by the storage hut, firmly placing her hands on her hips and scrutinizing James and David cautiously. "You really want to help me?"

"Yeah." James nodded with a shrug.

"Of course we do." David affirmed.

Metanoia scrunched up her face in confusion. "Why?"

"Why not?" David raised an eyebrow. "We've all taken a liking to you, and frankly — I don't believe anyone here would like to see you meet your death should you fail Pan's trials."