Chapter Twenty

Metanoia grunted as she took a blow to her abdomen when she wasn't looking.

"Focus, Metanoia." Theodore hissed as he watched her double over in pain.

"I'm trying." She croaked as she rubbed her bruise forming as a result of Theodore's hit.

"No, you aren't." Theodore snapped, and moved his knee up to hurt her, but Metanoia swiveled out of the way right in the nick of time, and kicked his shins and threw a punch. Theodore deflected her punch and swung his leg at her, but Metanoia jumped back and out of the way.

"Something's on your mind and it's distracting you." Theodore breathed heavily, and Metanoia rolled her eyes.

"You don't say." She deadpanned.

Theodore frowned at her in evident concern. "Your trials begin tomorrow, Metanoia ... you can't afford consuming yourself into your own thoughts."

Metanoia groaned and pulled at the roots of her hair. "I know! I just ... I'm worried about these trials."

Theodore's gaze softened on her. "Em, I promise, you can succeed. You just can't get distracted."

Metanoia chewed her bottom lip anxiously. "How can I not be worried for my own life?"

Theodore's eyes flickered in remembrance. "Well, a good way to start would be giving me Pan's locket and I can give it to him with no questions asked from his end."

Metanoia immediately shot Theodore a nasty glare. "I am not giving up that locket, Theo. It's my only shot at figuring out what my past was like."

Theodore clenched his jaw exasperatedly. "It's a dangerous object, Em. Not only can it bring you harm, but Pan has been asking around about that locket. He knows someone stole it and he's getting to the bottom of finding out who did."

Metanoia defiantly jutted out her chin. "I don't care."

"You will care when he has your neck squeezed in his palm!" Theodore snapped hotheadedly, causing Metanoia to gaze at him expectantly.

"What's with you, Theodore? You haven't been acting like your usual self." She asked coldly.

Theodore sighed, before rubbing his face in fatigue. "I'm just worried, Metanoia. About you. About the trials. About what Pan would do to you if he found out that you're the thief."

Metanoia stepped towards him, and placed a hand on his upper arm gently. "He won't know it's me."

Theodore glanced at her disdainfully. "David knows. What makes you think he'll keep his mouth shut?"

At the mention of his name, Metanoia felt a horrid chill run down her spine. "David and I have an agreement."

Theodore shot her a wary look. "What kind of agreement?"

She shrugged. "I do whatever he asks, and he remains quiet."

Theodore scrunched up his face. "What kind of life is that, Em? Just let me take care of it. I can fix this!"

Metanoia shook her head resolutely. "No, you aren't getting involved in this."

"But -"

"Em." A voice behind Metanoia spoke up, causing the two of them to turn to see who it was that has halted their conversation abruptly.

"Nate." She breathed, an easy smile etching itself onto the girl's face. "I didn't hear you coming."

Nate winked. "It's what I like to call stealth mode."