Chapter Fourteen

WARNING: This chapter includes violence and blood. Part of it is a bit intense, so I'll put a [!] at the start and end of the scene for anyone who is sensitive to these things.

Metanoia could hear her slow breaths being released from her mouth as her sharp eyes focused on a specific target. Her ears twitched as she heard every sound within the forest, Jeremy and Jacob on either side of her. In her hand, a long and sturdy wooden spear was clutched firmly, Metanoia's knuckles turning white in the process. She was adamant on proving herself to her team mates, and especially to Pan. Yet somehow, she knew that even if she was succeeding, Pan would find a way to minimize her achievements.

Discarding her thoughts of not being recognized for her blatant efforts, Metanoia exhausted her focus on her prey, and she shuffled forward as inaudibly as possible. She nodded sternly at the two boys, indicating to them that this was her kill alone, and both Jeremy and Jacob stepped back in compliance. They watched her cautiously, silently wishing her luck, for she hadn't successfully caught anything yet since her arrival, and she only had eighteen days before her trials commenced.

The shuffling in the distance increased, and Metanoia wasted no time. The moment she was within a reasonable distance, she flung her spear forward after locking her aim, and she watched as the weapon whizzed through the air sharply. As soon as they all heard the cry of a fallen animal and a thud, they gasped. Metanoia's hands flew to her mouth in shock, her eyes widening ridiculously in disbelief that she had done it.

She had actually done it.

"Good lord, Metanoia - you caught a deer!" Jeremy exclaimed brightly as Jacob placed a hand on her shoulder excitedly.

Metanoia laughed and sprinted towards her target, the two Lost Boys following her lead. Her eyes landed on the deer, now laying lifelessly in its own pool of blood. As much as Metanoia was thrilled for finally making her own catch, she also felt her heart painfully tug against her chest sadly for being responsible for taking a soul away. As she inched closer towards it tentatively, she noticed Jeremy and Jacob move forward to haul the animal back to camp.

"Wait!" She urgently pled, causing the boys to halt their moments and eye her quizzically.

Metanoia bent her knees into the ground, and her soft hand gently touched the animal's side.

"Forgive me." She whispered, and both boys instantly glanced at each other in bewilderment.

"Your vessel will not go to waste. Thank you." She spoke softly, patting the deer gently, and slowly stood back up and sniffled.

"Okay, you can take it away now." She mumbled meekly, and Jacob gulped.

"Are you alright, Metanoia?" Jeremy implored.

"I'm fine." She nodded. "Just ... never took a life before. At least I don't remember doing so."

Jacob shot her a sympathetic look as the three of them started their journey back to camp.

"You get used to it when you realise that you have to fend for yourself to survive here." He stated, a hint of disappointment in his tone.

Jeremy nodded. "It takes time, but you'll get there."

Metanoia gave them a weak smile. "Thanks, guys."

But when they arrived back to camp, and Metanoia proudly announced her hunt, Peter Pan dismissed her with a turn of his cheek as he carried on playing his flute. The other boys cheered around her, absolutely jovial with her long-anticipated success. Theodore lifted her off the ground and spun her around in his arms as she laughed, her sounds echoing across camp. The moment he placed her back on the ground, she was met with hugs from Charlie and Elijah, and pats on the back from Sam and Nate. Finn, Liam and Idris shared their words of congratulating her, and Timmothy, Gabriel and Micah shyly smiled her way. Of course, Metanoia wasn't surprised, nor did she care when Felix, Denzel, James and David entirely ignored her.