Chapter Seventeen

Metanoia barely contained her laughter as she climbed up the cliff with tremendous ease in comparison to Denzel during their regular training session one morning. Peter Pan was standing at the bottom of the small cliff, his hands sassily resting against his hips as he gazed up at the two of them scrutinizingly. He was assessing their performance against each other, and he was getting angrier by the second every time Metanoia jumped ahead of Denzel. Denzel was huffing angrily, losing sight of his strategic instincts because he was too blinded by wanting to point-blank beat Metanoia.

"What's the matter, Denzel? Can't haul your heavy arse up this tiny cliff?" Metanoia teased the Lost Boy purposely, for she learnt that Denzel tended to perform poorly when provoked.

He was a pityingly distracted boy indeed.

"Shut up before I get up there and beat you up senseless." Denzel threatened coldly after panting like a sweaty pig.

Metanoia jumped a couple of steps expertly, leaving Denzel gazing up at her in astonishment.

"How'd you do that?!" He demanded angrily.

Metanoia winked down at him. "Watch and learn, fatso."

Denzel growled. "I am not fat. I'm overwhelmingly muscular."

Metanoia rolled her eyes, and rubbed her shoe against the piece of rock jutting out so she could drop some rubble on his face. Denzel spat out the dust and blinked rapidly.

"Stop that!" He yelled.

"I dare you to stop me." She laughed, and carried on climbing, but Denzel was far too angry to actually carry on, so when he made the next move without calculating where his foot would go, he inevitably let out a shriek of shock, lost his grip, and fell all the way back down to the base of the cliff.

Metanoia smirked smugly when she heard his loud thud on the ground and the Lost Boys' laughs across the training campsite.

"Too easy." She sang as she lifted herself up to the top of the cliff.

Denzel fell straight on his back, groaning in horrendous pain. When he opened his eyes after scrunching them up painfully, he was met by an upside-down-Peter Pan-annoyed face.

Denzel gulped nervously.

"Get up." Pan hissed viciously. "This isn't nap time, you idiot."

Denzel scrambled up to his feet, and bit back a groan of pain. Nate was staring up at Metanoia with tremendous pride, overflowing and radiating off him so obviously. Anyone with a pair of eyes could tell how far along Metanoia has come, and Nate felt like he could simply embrace her in his tightest hug possible. With her astounding progress, he was now sure that she would pass her trials. Metanoia was beaming down at everyone, who in return were beaming up at her with the exclusion of Pan, Felix, and Denzel.

She then proceeded to grab the hook tied to a rope, planted it firmly against the rock at the top, and began to sling herself back down the base of the cliff expertly. As soon as she landed, the Lost Boys were already celebrating her easy win, and Metanoia smiled shyly at them all.

When she saw Denzel sulking in the corner, she called out to him. "Don't look so glum, Denzel - you gave it your best shot. Perhaps you'll have better luck next time."

Denzel shot her a furious glare, and opened his mouth to bark an insult at her, but before he could, Peter Pan spoke.

"Don't get too cocky, Metanoia. This was barely even anything to be proud of."

Metanoia focused her attention on him, and scowled. "But I -"

"In fact," Pan interrupted her rudely. "It's nothing compared to your actual trials. So, I suggest you stop celebrating, and worry about what your trials will be like."