Chapter Thirty Nine

A/N: I'm really upset that I didn't pass my final driving test, so I thought writing a new chapter might help cheer me up. 🥲💔

Metanoia did everything in her power to avoid Pan as though he were the plague over the next few days. Every time she saw him approach her or someone sat close to her, she'd make a point of standing up and walking away, but not before she'd shoot him a nasty glare. Even the Lost Boys could tell that there was an unmistakable hostility between the two of them, and it puzzled them beyond comprehension. Last they checked, Pan and Metanoia were abnormally close. No one tried asking her what had happened between the two of them, because every time Pan's name would rise to the surface of their conversations, Metanoia would scowl profusely, and change the topic of discussion swiftly.

Of course, David took it upon himself to behave as the shoulder to lean on, swooping in strategically to be the centre of Metanoia's attention and luring her into catching feelings for him. Metanoia was blissfully oblivious to his childish tactics, and instead just simply welcomed his company. However, despite David's ample effort to erase whatever twisted feelings she felt for Pan, Metanoia grudgingly found herself to get the fawn-haired, beautifully catastrophic boy out of her mind and heart. Every moment she spent without Pan increasingly allowed her to miss him more and more.

Metanoia loathed herself for missing him. She had no right to; Peter had proven to her that wasn't to be trusted. Theodore might have broken her trust before, but it hurt a lot more when it was Pan breaking her trust. Perhaps she should have known better. She should have known that someone as cruel and vindictive as Peter Pan is not someone one can entirely depend on. Of course he wasn't dependable. Peter Pan only cared for none other than himself, and he's always been clear with this.

After a tiresome day of rock climbing in training, and conducting weaponry maintenance as their daily task, Metanoia was beyond ecstatic to crawl into her bed as soon as she was done having dinner. She didn't bother changing into her nightwear, neither did she give it a thought to shower. She was far too tired to take another step. Pulling her covers over her shoulders, Metanoia fluttered her eyes shut, and sleep immediately engulfed her.

Everything was so dark. It felt like an endless pit wide and long, with no source of light. Her hearing was muffled, but she could still hear the faint cries of a creature from afar. She rapidly blinked, trying to adjust her sight to the darkness embracing her, but even her feet felt odd against the surface she stood on. It requires energy to move, more energy than usual, and her toes buried themselves in the surface, like sand. Suddenly, Metanoia heard screams of palpable rage, causing her to jolt, and her feet left the surface, and instead, hovered above. Frowning, she suddenly realised she was underwater.

How on earth did she get there, and how was she breathing underwater?

She started swimming towards the screams that were practically ringing through her ears so chillingly, it caused her to shiver. There, right in the centre of oblivion, shone a light so bright that it momentarily blinded Metanoia, shielding her from whoever was entrapped in this painful brightness. She squinted, blinking rapidly as her eyes adjusted to the sudden light, and as soon as she did, the girl gasped at the sight before her. Chained down to metal bars, heavy weights forcefully chained to him, was the very same man Metanoia had dreamt of long ago. The man who placed his hand on her shoulder as she felt troubled for being short-tempered. The man who comforted her. The man who raised her. Imprisoned brutally with unbearable weights squishing him in his cell, his four limbs chained with metal against the bars, was Greek God Ares, the once Mighty God of War. Reduced to this pitiful state.

Metanoia jolted violently awake, gasping shrilly, before she coughed vigorously. Suddenly, seawater fled her mouth as she coughed, and her eyes widened horrifically. This wasn't just a dream. What she had witnessed must have truly been real. Her head spun erratically as she trembled under her sheets.