Chapter Six

Artemis inspected her long, slender fingers, admiring the way her skin shimmered beneath the sunlight. She was sat in her extravagantly large garden scattered in lavish flowers that only existed in Mount Olympus. She allowed her servants to provide her with shade over her head, and fanned her with large straw fans as she ate her richly, crimson grapes at her own pace and leisure. She thoroughly enjoyed every moment she spent in solace, the serenity in the quietness surrounding her engulfing her in a peaceful trance.

Of course, not every peaceful moment is meant to last; this was merely the calm before the storm. She squinted her eyes to see clearer as the silhouettes of Zeus (her father), Athena and Poseidon approached her. She allowed a graceful smile to play on her red lips upon the sight of them.

"Well, if it isn't my dear father and friends. Please, join me for a lovely afternoon of doing absolutely nothing." Artemis, goddess of wild animals and the moon, ushered them to sit with her and enjoy the weather.

However, Zeus looked rather wary, and Athena smiled falteringly at her. Artemis's eyes narrowed suspiciously, and all it took was for her to glance at Poseidon to confirm that something had gone wrong.

"Alright, what is it now?" She sighed in slight annoyance as she motioned for one of the guards to shield her better from the scorching sun.

"Whatever do you mean, dearest?" Zeus played dumb, seating himself beside her on the long, elegantly hand-crafted couch, as Athena and Poseidon sat across from her on other spare seats.

Artemis rolled her eyes. "Don't try to conceal anything from me, father. Poseidon is an open book – I was certain things were peculiar the moment I saw the look on his face."

Zeus and Athena shot Poseidon nasty glares, causing Poseidon to snap defensively, "Hey, it's not my fault I'm of an honest nature."

"What is going on, then? Is it about the girl? Or is it about the demon we banished her to?" Artemis demanded, folding her arms across her chest. "Because I can assure you, I've got this covered with his shadow I've got wrapped around my finger."

Athena shifted uncomfortably in her seat, avoiding to meet Artemis's eye as she spoke slowly, "that's actually the problem."

Artemis furrowed her perfectly shaped brows. "What is the problem?"

"Our connection with Peter Pan's shadow has been lost." Poseidon admitted sheepishly.

Artemis's eyes widened. "Lost? How could you lose connection with a shadow indebted to me?" She asked startlingly.

Zeus shrugged. "We're not sure. Either Pan has figured out his shadow secretly works for us, or he is punishing him for something else."

Artemis abruptly stood up from her seat, knocking over the bowl of grapes lividly, and yelling incoherently. She swiftly picked up her bow and arrow from beside her and marched forward.

"Where are you going?" Athena called after her.

"I'm going to rain hell on Neverland. No one takes a shadow from me." Artemis seethed.

"Artemis, dear, please take a minute to think this through." Zeus started, causing her to spin around to face him angrily.

"Think this through?! This outlawed, banished Greek god thought he could one up me? Me?! I cannot let this slide." She protested adamantly.

"It's not as bad as you make it sound, Artemis." Athena countered as she slowly rose up from her seat and walked towards her.

"He's taken ahold of our advantage and obliterated it, Athena. Peter Pan must pay." Artemis hissed.