Lie

I could feel the pom poms I had been holding slip from my fingers, dropping with a whoosh and then a final thud as they clattered to the ground. Everything inside me started to crumble into pieces, the boy I had loved forever was running across the football field to declare his love to the girl we thought he hated. My eyes started to well up with tears but I blinked them back. I was frozen to this spot, unsure of what my next move was. Crying would show that I was weak and that I wasn't as heartless as they had all thought. But I also couldn't walk over to him and say something without feeling everything inside me break.

All of sudden I felt a drop on the top of my head, and then another and another until it was pouring hard raindrops everywhere. Everyone rushed around me all at once to get off the field before they got soaked. I just stood there, frozen. Because I could feel myself go back in time to another place not so long ago when we were running and laughing to get out of the rain.

When we were kids and the only thing we really knew was each other. I could still feel the rush I felt when he suddenly looked at me his gaze curious, and he leaned over to kiss me. It barely lasted a second before our parents were calling us home but it was the feel of his lips against mine that stayed with me. How warm they were in contrast to rain that surrounded us. Now everything was wet, cold and I was alone.

Across the field I see him and her huddled together laughing as they ran to get shelter from the rain. He turned around suddenly looking around for something. No not something, someone. And that someone was me. He was looking for me. His sharp blue eyes found mine in the midst of the rain telling me a thousand things all at once, and I could see him open his mouth to say something. But he never got the chance before he was tugged away by her. And then they were gone, leaving me all alone to stand in the rain.

The rain soaked me from head to toe, causing my clothes to become heavy until they stuck to every part of me. Then I picked up the pom poms I had dropped only moments ago. The pom poms I had been holding when I felt everything was right and okay, before it was all destroyed into a million little pieces. I couldn't control my tears any longer as I walked myself back to my car. They spilled and dribbled down my cheeks along with the rain.

Reaching my car I opened the door and threw the pom poms inside before sliding in myself. I didn't start the car because I was remembering the time he had sat beside me and told me that she had meant nothing. The rain had been pelting all around us then too, and I was trying hard to not look at him as my heart was breaking because I knew he wasn't lying.

This girl he had randomly fucked had meant nothing to him so what did that mean for me? Did I mean nothing to him too? I turned and looked over at him wanting to tell him to leave, but before I could say a word he was pulling me towards him. And for some reason I let him. It was the first time that rush he had always given me started to fade, even as he ran his hands over my body and I felt the pleasure of his touch.

It became less of rush and more of a need to keep him close because I knew he could never stay with a girl like me. I knew I was supposed to the girl who never gave a shit about anyone or anything, but if there was anyone I had ever cared about it was him. Ever since I had moved next door to Brent Walker we had been the rocks for each other.

Every time my parents fought so bad they started throwing things, I would go next door. And when his parents used to pick at him until he couldn't take it then he would come to me. Now I couldn't see what way was up or what way was down. I thought I knew him like he knew me.

I started the car and drove off while at same time trying to wipe away the tears that kept falling down my cheeks. I tried to turn on the radio but in the end I settled for silence because every station made me start to cry harder. The rain pelted the car harder and harder, my phone buzzed in the cup holder next to me with a familiar tune of his ringtone. I ignored it as it rang and rang not wanting to hear what he had to say right now. What could he possibly say that would fix this?