Chapter 57

Elle and Nathan both sat outside Dumbledores office, anxiously waiting for Jackson to return so they could find out what happened at court. The two siblings made idle chit-chat, Nathan being concerned for his sister as the last time they spent time together it was her sobbing into his arms after her first heartbreak, and Elle desperately trying to not relive those same memories.

"So, you and Riley official yet?" Elle teased her brother, lightly bumping her shoulder into his.

"Bugger off, I don't want to hear it." Nathan laughed before shaking his head, "But no, we aren't. Not yet anyway."

"Well, she's really sweet." Elle said as Nathan nodded.

"She is."

A few moments later, they heard the stone start to move as Dumbledores office doors opened, Jackson, Ben, and George exiting. Elle and Nathan both jumped up to face their family and friends.

"So?" Elle impatiently asked.

"So.... please welcome the newest Mackin." Ben cheered as Elle rushed forward, bringing Jackson in for a hug that Nathan soon joined.

"Really? What happened?" Nathan asked as Ben began to retell the story, about Jarvis, Rita, and how ultimately, the minister deemed Jarvis as an unfit parent and gave sole custody to Mary and Ben.

"That's great!" Nathan cheered, bringing Jackson in for another hug, "Not that you weren't a part of the family before, but welcome, because now it's official."

Ben let Jackson, Nathan, and George talk some more as he softly grabbed Elles arm, pulling her away from the group. This was the first time he was seeing his daughter after her breakup. Nathan had written to him that night, wanting him to know what happened between the two and how torn up she was.

"Hi, honey." Ben said, pulling her in for a hug.

"Hi Dad..."

"How are you? After everything?" Ben asked, withdrawing from the hug as she looked at him questionably.

"What? How did you know?" Elle softly asked, all her feelings coming back as she was finally with her Dad, who was more comforting than he ever knew.

"Oh honey, Nathan wrote to me to let us know. It's okay, don't worry." Ben soothed, bringing her in for another hug as she rested her head against his chest.

"I can't believe he would do that Dad." Elle said, her voice slightly cracking as she attempted to hold in her tears.

"I know baby, I know." Ben comforted, withdrawing from the hug so he could quickly wipe away to tears that slipped from her eye before they heard two sets of footsteps approaching. Everyone turned to look as Fred and Lee walked towards the group, Freds face instantly turned red as he saw Ben comforting Elle and had a good feeling it was because of him.

"Jackson! How'd it go, man?" Lee asked, sending him a grin.

"It went well! Officially a Mackin!" Jackson cheered.

"Did you change your last name to Mackin?" Fred finally spoke up to ask as Jackson shook his head.

"I was given the option too, but I'm not sure yet.... It's the last thing I have of my Mother, ya know?" Jackson said as the four boys nodded.

"Hi Ben!" Lee turned to greet him with his usual large smile.

"Hi Lee!" Ben smiled back at his cheeriness.

"Uh, hi Ben." Fred quietly said, not in his usual bubbly tone.

"Hello Fredrick. Please call me Mr.Mackin." Ben nodded at him as Elle sent him a glare, and Fred's face turned even more crimson.