Chapter 26: I Miss Them

"Steve, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for all of this," I say as we walk towards Fury's office. Steve was pissed, no, fuming with rage. He hates being lied to more than anything, especially when it comes to a mission. He's been questioning Fury and SHIELD after New York when he lied about what his plan was for the Tesseract.

We walk in and Steve says, "You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Oh, going right into it.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than the two of you," Fury said as we approached his desk.

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share," Steve says.

Fury fires back, "I'm not obliged to do anything."

"Those hostages could've died, Nick."

"I sent the greatest soldier in history and the most capable agent to make sure that didn't happen," Fury says. He is right, but he still should have told us.

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around and shooting guns," Steve says.

"The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye. Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with anything, and I'm sure if I asked y/n she would have been too," Fury says. "Right, Agent L/n?"

"Yes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have told Steve," I say.

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own," Steve says. Persistent Steve is definitely Scary Steve.

"It's allied compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all," Fury says, trying to prove his point, but it's not working.

"Except you," I say.

"You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that," Fury says, and then starts walking away. Steve and I looked at each other confused until we heard. "Well, if you want the secrets, you might want to follow me. He led us to the elevator and said, "Insight bay."

The elevator person said, "Captain Rogers and Agent L/n do not have clearance for Project Insight." What is Project Insight?

"Director override. Fury, Nicholas J.," Fury says. The elevator confirms it and Fury leans against one elevator wall while Steve and I lean on another. Steve and Fury go into a conversation about Fury's Granddad when I notice something outside of the clear elevator walls.

I see giant Helicarriers, more advanced ones than New York. They were huge, and had a ton of guns attached to it. It was like weapons heaven. "Holy cow," I whisper under my breath.

"Yeah, I know. They're a little bit bigger than a .22," Fury says behind me. We exited the elevator and started walking around, admiring the helicarriers in front of us. "This is Project Insight. Three next generation Helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites."

"Launched from the Lemurian Star," Steve says, admiring everything around us.

"Once we get them in the air, they never need to home down. Continuous suborbital flight courtesy of our new repulsor engines," Fury says.

"Stark?" Steve and I ask at the same time.

"Well he had a few suggestions once he got an up close look at our old turbines," Fury says, and we went up on some railing, getting a better view of everything.

"These new long range precision guns can eliminate a thousand hostiles a minute. The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We're gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen," Fury continues.