Chapter 32: The Falcon

"You okay back there?" Steve asks, noticing Nat was stirring awake.

"Oh just great," Nat says, sarcastically and starts to rub her head.

"Make a right over here," Steve says and we pull up to a house. I noticed that we were following a guy who had been running. He entered his house and I realized who it was.

"Sam? Are you sure we can trust him?" I ask, hesitant.

"You have any other ideas?" Steve asks. "Park down this street. We'll walk over to his house." I do as Steve says and park on the other street. We all get out of the car and Steve helps Nat walk as we make our way to Steve's house.

We approached the door Sam entered and I knocked lightly on the door. Sam opens the door, scanning us, seeing us all covered in ash. "Hey, man," Sam says.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low," Steve says.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," Nat says.

"We don't know where else to go," I say.

Sam takes a moment before saying, "Not everyone." Sam lets us enter the house and I start to close all of the blinds as Steve sets Nat down on a stool in the kitchen. "What the hell happened to you guys?"

"Long story short, SHIELD isn't what SHIELD is supposed to be and now we are fugitives of the law," I say, closing the last curtain.

"Is that an everyday occurrence for you guys? Need to fight bad guys?" Sam asks, making me chuckle.

"On the exciting days," Nat smirks and then winces in pain.

"Y/n, there's a bathroom at the end of the hallway, you can go take a shower. I'll get Nat some medicine before she takes one. Plus all of you smell like smoke," Sam says. I thank him and go down to the bathroom.

I take a warm shower, making all of my sore muscles feel better for at least a moment. I try to get rid of the smoke smell and the ash off of me as I let the water run all over my body.

I turn the water off, grabbing a towel to dry off. I grabbed my clothes and put them on, using the towel to dry off my hair. I walk out of the bathroom to find Sam and Steve in the kitchen and Nat waiting to take a shower. "Sorry for the wait," I say.

"No big deal," Nat says, offering me a small smile before walking into the bathroom to take her shower. I go into the kitchen as Sam hands me a cup of water, which I down quickly.

Nat's shower was finished and Steve went to go shower while Sam handed me a plate of food. "Thank you so much," I say, and start to eat, knowing how hungry I am right now.

"Anytime," Sam says, putting the pan in the sink. "So, how bad is it? Like life threatening or world dominating?"

"World dominating," I say, and eat another piece of egg.

"Oh, cool cool," Sam says, obviously trying to act cool that superheroes were coming to him for help. "So the good guys are the bad guys?"

"Well, if you think about it, the good guys were always the bad guys," I say. "This is really good, Sam."

"It's my TeTe's recipe. Has a secret ingredient," he says and I smile. "I'll go get everyone else to see if they want any." Sam exits the room as I put my empty plate in the sink as I wait for them. Once Nat and Steve get back, they  quickly devour their breakfast that Sam made and Nat brought us quickly back on the main mission.

"So, the question is: who in SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike?" Nat says, sitting down on the counter beside me.

"Pierce," Steve says and I nod. He's in charge now with Fury gone. It's the only reasonable explanation.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world," I add.

"But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star," Steve says.

"So was Jasper Sitwell," Nat adds.

"So, the real question is: how do the two most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?" Steve says, talking about us.

Sam walks back into the room and tosses a file on the table saying, "The answer is: you don't."

"What's that?" Steve asks.

"Call it a résumé," Sam says, crossing his arms.

"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you," Nat says, picking up a photo that was in the file. "You didn't say he was a pararescue."

"Is this Riley?" Steve asks, referring to Sam's friend that he mentioned and Sam nods. Steve looks at the file confusingly, handing it to me. I start to read the file, impressed by Sam's resume.

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute?" Nat asks, impressed by how he did the mission.

"No, these," Sam says, pointing to the file as I let Nat take a look at it.

"I thought you said you were a pilot," Steve asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I never said pilot," Sam says, smirking.

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason," Steve says, obviously not wanting to force anyone to do anything.

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. You got out for a good reason," Sam says, not wanting to miss the opportunity.

"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Steve asks, giving in.

"The last one is at Fort Meade, behind three guarded gates and a twelve-inch steel wall," Sam asks and I scoff.

"Is that it? Come on give me a challenge," I say, jumping off the table.