Chapter 39: The Snap

Scott and I took Loki's scepter, traveling back to the future, hoping that Steve and Tony figure out a way to get the Tesseract and the others successfully get the other Infinity Stones.

We went through the quantum realm, going to 2023, and this time I successfully landed on my feet, not feeling too sick. I look around, smiling when I see Steve and Tony next to me, and I knew they got the Tesseract and more Pym Particles. "Did we get them all?" Bruce asks, looking around.

"You telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey says, and I smile wider. I get to see Bucky after years. We will finally reunite.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce's voice pulled me out of my thoughts as I look next to Clint, who is on his knees. He says nothing, not even being able to look at any of us in the eyes. My heart sunk, realizing the fate of Natasha. She didn't make it. 

Bruce falls to the floor as I walk to Steve, embracing him in a hug. I know how much Nat helped him through out his time here, so I knew he would be effected. "Come on," I say, seeing Steve's eyes tearing up. "Let's go outside."

We walk to the docks, watching the lake. I sit on the table while Steve sits on the bench next to me, and soon enough, all of the original Avengers made there way out there.

There was only silence as six of us were sitting with only our thoughts. I know I had less time with Nat then them all, but she was a great fighter, and she helped me a lot in New York. She never deserved this. No one does.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asks, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, us," Steve says, and I put my hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

"What?" Thor says, confused. What is he doing?

"I just asked him a question-"

Thor interrupts Tony and says, "Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right. As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together."

"We can't get her back," Clint says, leaning up against a pole.

"What?" Thor says, obviously in disbelief. 

"It can't be undone. It can't," Clint says. I can't even imagine what he's going through. We all know he was the closest to her.

"Thor, it's not going to happen. She's gone," I added, trying to calm him down.

Thor laughs dryly and says, "I'm sorry. No offense, but you guys a very earthly being. Plus, you got here two minutes ago. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And 'can't' seems very definitive don't you think?" 

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?"

"No that's my point-"

"It can't be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say," Clint says, his voice getting louder. "Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? Go grab your hammer, and you go fly and talk to him!"

Clint continues, grief overwhelming him, "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it." 

Out of anger, Bruce grabs a bench, hurling it in the woods across the lake. "She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to," he says. 

"We will," Steve says.

...

All of the surviving Avengers stood around the new gauntlet with all of the Infinity stones on it. "All right. The glove's ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Rocket, the raccoon says.