Chapter 3: Whatever It Takes

The day soon became night, and I made my way out of the office, finding the fancy car on the curb. Howard was sitting in the back and Jarvis stepped out of the driver's seat to open the door for me. "Thank you. It's great to see you again," I say, and sit down in the seat as he agrees with me.

Howard smiles at me, saying, "Hello Ms L/n."

"Hello, Mr. Stark," I say, nodding at him. "What do you plan to do at the Expo?"

"The flying car bit. It's what will attract the most people," he responds.

"The last time you showed me, it didn't work as you hoped," I say. "Which was a couple days ago."

"Well, if something goes wrong, I'll cover it up. Like I always do," he says, and I nod, knowing that he always does that. The ride was filled with regular conversation topics, but mostly Howard talking about himself. He may be smart, but man can he be a pain in the neck.

We soon arrived at the Expo, and we stepped out of the car, and cameras were flashing everywhere, mostly at Howard. I slipped my way through the crowd, trying to find Bucky, Steve, or Bonnie. Bonnie is the waitress at the diner near my office I would go to after work sometimes. I just hope she won't be rude to Steve like the rest of the girls have been on double dates.

I found Bonnie near one of the statues, and I brought her into a hug. "Oh my, I'm so nervous," she says, trying to fix her blond curls.

"You'll love him. He's the sweetest guy in Brooklyn," I say, which is 100% true. I told her about Steve, only the good stuff of course, which is most stuff, except for his shortness, and his medical history.

"Oh my gosh, who is he. Please tell me that the brunette in the uniform is Steve," she whispers to me, looking behind me. I turn around seeing Bucky and Steve walking our way, but Bucky was wearing a military uniform. He got his orders. We're both going to war.

"No, that's my Bucky," I say, and wave at him when Bonnie yells hi to him and he waves. "Steve is the blonde. That's my cousin."

"You guys are related?" she questions, and I nod. A lot of people ask that. I'm not the tallest person in the world, but I'm average height, and I'm built nicestly, thanks to work. Everyone thinks that I should be a 2'8 girl who is as skinny as a stick to be related to him.

The boys walk over to us, and I hug Steve, and then Bucky and he places a kiss on my cheek. "So you got your orders?" I asked, as we walked hand and hand towards the Expo.

"Sergeant James Barnes of the 107th. Shipped first thing tomorrow morning," he says, proud of himself but I can hear the sadness in his voice. He always thinks he can hide his feelings about me, but we read each other well from knowing each other for so long.

Just like he can tell I'm upset right now, and pulls me aside, holding both of my hands. "Hey, I know that this won't be easy, but as long as I got you, everything will turn out fine."

"And what if it doesn't?" I ask immediately. Part of my job is to think of every possibility that could happen, and that's exactly what I'm thinking about. Every possibility he could be taken away from me.

"Don't think that way. I'm going out there, and I'm fighting for you, and the little punk too," he says, and takes a deep breath. "I will do whatever it takes to make my way back to you."

"Whatever it takes?" I repeat, and he nods. "Good, because if you die, I'll bring your ass back from the dead and kill you myself." He chuckles, and pulls me in for a kiss, smiling into it.

"Let's go watch the future," Bucky says, and I giggle at his nerdiness. We met back up with Steve and Bonnie, who both look like they weren't having fun, and got in front of the stage right when the show was about to start.