Chapter 30: On the Run

I pulled up into the hospital parking lot, and Steve and I both got off the motorcycle bike. Steve and I enter through the back entrance, where less people would be at. Steve led me through the hospital until we got to a vending machine.

I looked at it confusingly as Steve was conflicted. "It's not here," Steve says. "I put it behind the gum."

"You lost it," I whisper under my breath. Well, who would hide a flashdrive in a vending machine? Suddenly behind Steve and I, I hear a pop of gum. I saw it was Natasha and Steve did not hesitate to grab her arm, pulling her into the room and I follow.

Steve pushes Natasha up against a wall as I lean against the wall near the door. "Where is it?" I ask calmly.

"Safe," Natasha says, staring at me.

Steve shakes her angrily and says, "Do better!"

"Where did you get it?"

"Why would I tell you?" Steve asks. He's pissed.

"Fury gave it to you guys. Why?" Nat says, her eyes moving to me.

"What's on it?" I ask, trying to get information.

"I don't know," Nat says.

"Stop lying!" Steve says.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers," Nat says, which is true. That's how she gets her information a lot.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve says.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you," Nat says calmly. It makes sense, but I know Steve won't like that answer.

"I'm not going to ask you again." I knew he wouldn't like that.

"I know who killed Fury," Nat says, making Steve and I share a look before listening to everything Nat says next. "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. HE's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

"So, he's a ghost story," Steve says.

"We are going off a myth," I say, rolling my eyes.

"He's not a myth. Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me," Nat says, and pulls up her shirt, revealing a bullet scar. "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now," Steve says, making Nat smile slightly.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried," Nat says, and holds up the flash drive, making me stand up straight. "Like you said, he's a ghost story."

Steve grabs the flash drive and says, "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants."

"We can use my car to get to the local mall. They have an apple store that we can use to get the information out of the flash drive," Nat says as we made our way out of the hospital.

"Y/n, you'll be look out. Nat and I will go in. You go to the second floor to see if we get surrounded. Once we get the information we'll make our way to you," Steve says and I nod as we got in Nat's car and she starts to speed to the mall.

"You'll need this," Nat says, leaning over to the glovebox and getting out three earpieces. We all took one and I put mine in my left ear. "We're here."

We got out of the car and we made our way into the mall. I split from Nat and Steve, making my way to the second floor. I see Nat and Steve walking on the floor below me and I notice Steve looking tense and in a rush. "First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk, Steve," I say through my earpiece.