Chapter 28: 1:03 AM

Steve and I followed the ambulance that Fury was in. My mind should have been hoping Fury is okay, which I hope he is, but I can't help but wonder about the shooter. I swear I read files about him somewhere in SHIELD's information center.

He's basically a myth, just someone to blame assassinations on when they can't find an actual suspect. All of their crimes have been stretched out from the past 50 years. I just can't remember the alias the person was given.

We got to the hospital a little after the ambulance and made our way to the room Fury was being worked on. Steve and I were able to stand outside the window and watch the doctors trying to save Fury.

After a couple minutes, Natasha storms into the room, stepping next to me. "Is he gonna make it?" her first words were.

"I don't know," I say. His heartbeat was decreasing by the second.

"Tell me about the shooter," she says. You could tell she was angry. I knew her and Fury were close, so that could explain it.

"He's fast and strong," Steve says. "Had a metal arm." Maria Hill walks up next to Nat, looking just as hurt, maybe more, as Nat.

"Ballistics?" Natasha asks her.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable," Maria says.

Before Maria could finish, Nat interrupts and says, "Soviet-made." She said that more as a statement than a question.

"Yeah," Maria said, slightly shocked that she was right. I suddenly hear commotion going in the room on the other side of the window as Fury goes into shock.

Fury's heartline flattens and they start to shock him with the defibrillator. I hear Nat next to me whisper under her breath, "Don't do this to me, Nick."

"Time of death, 1:03 AM," the main doctor says, and I sigh. Another soldier down. I see Steve staring at the flashdrive and walks out of the room, and I follow closely behind him.

He grabs my arm and pulls me in an empty room. "We need to figure out what to do with this?" Steve says.

"We should try and figure out what's on it. Obviously it was important if he says that we can't trust anyone with it," I say, and he nods.

"I don't know how we can do that," he says.

"Neither do I," I say. "We would have to get to a computer without other people finding out that we even have this flashdrive in the first place. Whatever is on it, the information needs to be kept secret."

We both see Natasha pass by us. "Maybe she knows," I say.

"Maybe," Steve says. We both went to follow them in a room where they placed Fury's body. I lean against the wall as Nat and Steve observe Fury's body. Something isn't right about this.

"Natasha," Steve says. Natasha touches Fury's forehead and then quickly walks out the room. Steve and I shared a quick glance before following her. "Natasha!"

Nat quickly turned around and asked, "Why was Fury in your apartment?"

"I don't know," Steve says.

Before any of us could say something, Rumlow approaches us and says, "Y/n, cap, they want you back at SHIELD."

"Yeah, give us a second," I say, and turn back to Nat.

"They want you now," he says, sternly.

"You're a terrible liar," Nat says to Steve. Steve and I turn around, making our way to Rumlow where he and the STRIKE team escort us back to SHIELD Headquarters.