Chapter 40: The Endgame

I felt my body being pulling and hit into different directions, until my body was slammed onto the concrete, a bolder on top of my legs. Shooting pains were going through my legs, and I use all of my strength to get the bolder off of me, but it won't budge. 

I notice two walking figures, one holding a circular object that anyone in this world can identify. "Steve!" I yelled as loud as I could, my voice straining. "Steve, help me!" His body starts to run over, and he gets over to me, noticing the bolder and quickly lifts it off my legs. "Oh, thank you."

"You alright?" Tony asks, as Steve holds out a hand to help me up.

"Yea, I'll be fine. What just happened?" I asked, getting up.

"Time travel is complicated," Steve says.

"We never get a break do we?" I say, and they shake their heads. We made our way around the rubble, and we find Thor standing at some sort of doorway. I notice him staring in the distance, and I see a giant purple alien sitting on some stone, who I assume is Thanos. "Is that?"

"Yea," Thor says, anger laced in his voice.

"What's he been doing?" Tony asks.

"Absolutely nothing," Thor says. I continue to stare at Thanos, examining his physique, trying to see how much of a disadvantage I am at fighting this Titan.

"Where are the stones?" Steve asks.

"Somewhere under all of this," I say.

"All I know is that he doesn't have them," Tony adds.

"So we keep it that way," Steve says, determined.

"You know it's a trap, right?" Thor says.

"Yea. And I don't much care," Tony says.

"Good," Thor says. "Just as long we are all in agreement." Thor holds his arms out, and thunder cracks in the distance. Lightening strikes onto him, and he has Mjolnir and Stormbreaker in his hands, his armor suddenly appearing. "Let's kill him properly this time."

We all made our way over to Thanos, the more I approach him, the more intimidating he seems. This creature snaps away have the universe, and he's okay with it? It's terrifying. 

"You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Back to me. I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive. But you've shown me that's impossible. And as long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist," Thanos says, staying unnaturally calm.

We start to circle around him as Tony says, "Yep. We're all kinds of stubborn."

"I'm thankful. Because now, I know what I must do," Thanos says, and stands up. He continues to talk as he puts on his armor. "I will shred this universe down to its last atom. And then; With the stones you've collected for me, create a new one. Teeming with life, but knows not what it has lost but only what it has been given. A grateful universe."

He disgusts me. How can you make a universe better by destroying it?

"Born out of blood," Steve adds.

"They'll never know it. Because you won't be alive to tell them," Thanos says. I'm not dying again, especially when I'm this close to getting back to Bucky. Thor yells, and we all attack Thanos, hoping to take him down before he can find the stones.

I use all of my skills, impaling him, trying to freeze him but he breaks out every time, making him focus on me while Thor hits him with lightening. It seems like nothing is working.