Christmas at Last

A week after we were caught by Filch, we decided to lay off the jokes and just finish our first semester at Hogwarts. We now only have two days left till the holiday. My mother and I have been sending owls to each other, so I am scheduled to be sent home right after my classes are done on Tuesday, which is the last day of break. I have yet to say anything about the sorting hat conversation to her, just only that we needed to talk as soon as I got home. Fred, George, and I were all in the common room finishing some last-minute homework. I was just finishing my potions essay when Fred asked, "What are you doing over the holiday Beth?"

"Oh. Well after classes on Tuesday I'm taking the train back to London. From there I'm planning on spending the holiday at home. What will you two be up to? Other than trouble anyway." I said smiling at the two.

"Well quite right you are with the trouble part, but we are also heading home to the Burrow. Mum has a big Christmas planned for the family. Maybe we can see if you can come over the last few days of the holiday! Charlie and Percy know you well enough so mum might say yes!" Fred answered. While George nodded in agreement.

As nice as that sounded, I knew I needed to focus on my mother this Christmas and get some answers, "I don't know you guys. I was planning on talking to my mom about everything that happened at the sorting ceremony."

"Oh yeah. Sorry, Beth we forgot all about that." Said George.

"It's nothing to be sorry about Georgie. I just wish it was going to be easy. I mean just think about what she's going to say or do once she hears this! I'm just overwhelmed with the whole thing." I say.

"Well write to us and let us know how it goes. If things need to smooth over at your house the Weasley's would love having you over. Plus, Ginny would love to have another girl to talk to for once, I mean with six brothers she gets a bit annoyed sometimes." Fred said with a chuckle.

"I think about it. For now, I just need to finish this paper. You two also need to! It's due first thing tomorrow!" I was a stickler for homework and knew if I didn't tell them to get it done they would never finish.

And with that we all went back to our papers. Once I had finished I said goodnight and headed to my bedroom. Christmas with Fred and George. Although it sounded so fun, and I would have loved to told them yes right away I'm afraid the talk with my mother must come first. With this all on my mind I fell asleep, trying not to worry about anything too terribly much.

Finally, it was Tuesday and classes had just ended. I had two hours to pack my belongings and head to the train back to London. I went to the girls' dormitories and set straight for packing. While doing this Lucy came in and did the same. She finally spoke and asked, "Ready to head back home?"

"Yes and no. I mean I miss my family and everything but, I just don't... I just don't want to..."

"You just don't want to ask your mom about you actual dad. I'm sorry Beth. I wish I could be there for you. You write to me and the twins as soon as you do it. Tell us how you feel and what happened so we can help you through it!" she came over to give me a big hug. I reluctantly gave her one back but soon found tears running down my cheeks and hugged harder.

"Oh Lucy... W-w-what would I d-do witho-out you!" I managed to say though the crying.

"Oh, I think you would manage just fine dear. You are a strong girl. You just need a push sometimes to realize it." She finally withdrew from the hug, gave me one last smile and went back to packing. I followed suit and finished my packing. We went down to the great hall together where we meet Fred, George and Lee all waiting for us.

"Gosh! Took you two long enough!" Said Fred.

"Been waiting for ages!" George added on.

"Thought you two changed your minds!" Concluded Lee.

"Oh, would you lot shut it. Let's head to the carriages." Said Lucy.

I started walking with the group when Fred came up next to me. I smiled at him, he smiled back, but turned away blushing.

"I just wanted to ask of you are alright." He finally managed to say head still turned.
"Of course, I'm fine Fred. Ready? Not so much. But I'll have you guys to write to. So, I'll have support through the whole thing. I just wish I didn't have to do this at all." I replied back to him.

"Hell, yeah you do." He said turning around finally. "And if I don't hear from you in a few days, I'll hunt you down to find your house and ask you myself how you we doing."

"Always my knight in shining armor." I said playfully elbowing him.

"As you will always be the damsel in distress." He said elbowing me back. We were finally in the carriages at this time. We talked about what everyone's plans were for the holidays, and what everyone wanted, all looked surprised when I said a broom.

"What?" I asked. "I thought maybe in a few years I'd try out for the quidditch team! We are going to have all three chasers leaving within a few years! and someone needs to take their spots!"

No one said anything until Fred replied with, "well I think you would be a fantastic chaser, Beth."

"And this is why you are my best friend, Freddy." I said.

Once on the train we continued a long discussion about the holidays and quidditch, and in no time we were back at Kings Cross Platform 9 and 3/4. I looked out the window and I saw my mum and waved. Everyone in the compartment just smiled at me. We all said our goodbyes and I went to my mother running for a hug.
"Oh dearie! I missed you so much! I would say never leave me again, but I know your education is important to you."

"Yeah." I replied trying not to meet her eyes.

"What's wrong dear? Are you not glad to see me?" she asked with some suspicion.

It was now but I knew the time had come. So, without thinking I blurted out, "who is my real father?"