10

Regret

DRACO MALFOY

I couldn't help but smile as I walked into the library to meet Caroline for her free period. But my smile quickly faded when I saw her sitting with Theo, with her hand on his arm and laughing.

"What the fuck is this?" I spat, my voice laced with venom. They both looked at me quickly. Confusion fell over Carolines face. "Theo was just talking to me about-" she started. "Oh Theo was?" I mocked. "Mate, cool it. We were just talking." Theo said. "Shut the fuck up, Theo" I snapped. Caroline shot up and faced me. "Don't talk to him like that!" she exclaimed. "Shhhhh" Madam Pince said. She pointed to the door and we all went outside to the hall. "What is wrong with you, Draco? He's your friend and we were just talking. That's it." she said. I scoffed. "I saw you. You were touching him and flirting. Acting like a fucking whore!" I shouted. She stepped back and her eyes watered. Theo pushed me back with a glare on his face. "You need to leave Draco," he said. "Why? Is it your turn to fuck her now?" I spat. I wanted to stop talking. I could see the tears on her cheeks and the pain in her eyes but I was pissed. I clenched my fists and tried not to punch someone. "Go cool off before you say something you regret." Theo said. "He already did say something!" Caroline said. I laughed. "You know what's fine. I might not have fucked you but you let me have everything else. I guess that's about as surprised as I should be." I shouted. She stared at me and I just watched the tears stream down her face. "I-I hate you." she said. "Go cry to someone who cares." I said as I rolled my eyes. She turned to leave but Theo grabbed her arm. "Caroline, just wait. He doesn't mean this shit. Just let-" Theo started. She shook her head and her hands trembled. "I can't. I'm sorry. I tried. I really did. But- he's- he is just cruel. I can't." she said. "Caroline, please" Theo pleaded. She shook her head as she cried. "I'm sorry." she said. Then she rushed off. Theo turned to face me and gave me the death stare of a lifetime.

He shoved me and my back hit the wall. "What the fuck is your problem?" he shouted. "Oh, I'm sorry. Did I interrupt your game? Was she just about to fuck you?" I spat. "No, you prick. I was talking to her. Like a human." he said. I scoffed. "You were right. She had no idea why you chose her. You want to know why?" he asked. I stared at him with a strange look. "Why?" I asked. "Because her entire life, the people she grew up with told her how awful she was. They called her a freak, a slag and oh yeah.... A whore. Then the one guy she really likes and a guy she thought liked her, goes and calls her a whore. I mean- what were you thinking?" he exclaimed. My heart stopped and I felt sick. "I didn't mean- I just saw- I didn't mean it." I stammered. "You can't say that kid of shit to her. I mean, come on mate. You really like her and you fucked it up because you think I would make a move on her. She's not even my type." he said. I sighed and rubbed my eyes as I sunk to the floor. "Fuck" I groaned. "You need to talk to her," he said. " I know." I said. I started to stand and he stopped me. "Give her some time to cool off and calm down," he said. I nodded. "I'm going to my dorm." I said. He nodded. "Sorry about..." I trailed off. "I know. It's cool." he said. I just nodded. Then I went to my dorm and laid down.

CAROLINE POTTER

I ran. I ran all the way to Hufflepuff and knocked on their portrait. A young first year student opened it and smiled. "Hi!" she said. I wiped my eyes and tried to look normal. "Hi, can you do me a favor and get Max?" I asked. She nodded quickly. A few moments later, the door opened again. Max stood there with a look of concern. "Caroline, what's wrong?" he asked. I just shook my head. "Come here," he said. He pulled me into an embrace and I buried my face in his chest. "Shhh, it's ok," he said. He took my hand and we went to his dorm. He shut the door and I sat on his trunk at the foot of his bed. He knelt in front of me and took my hands. "What happened?" he asked. "You're gonna be really pissed." I said. He smiled. "Just tell me." he said. And I told him everything. His face fell and he sat next to me and buried his face in his hands. I sighed.

"You got involved with Draco Malfoy?!" he exclaimed. I nodded. "Caz, what were you thinking?" he asked. I shrugged. "I don't know. He was nice to me. He was different from how he was before." I said. "But?" he asked. "He just wanted to sleep with me." I said quietly. Max wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. "Shit, I'm sorry Caz." he said. "He called me a whore and it's just- The Dursleys said that and he said it and maybe it's true. Maybe all the things they said are true because I keep-" I started. "Stop. Just stop." he said. He wiped my face and looked at me. "Don't say that. You aren't a freak or a whore. You are Caroline Potter and I love you." he said. I laughed. "What's funny?" he asked. "I thought we decided to just be friends." I said as I nudged him and smirked. He laughed. "You know what I meant. I love you as a friend." he said. We both laughed and laid back on his bed next to each other, side to side. "We were so drunk that night." I said. "So drunk," he said. "But it was fun," I said. He nodded. "Are you- do you regret it?" he asked. I looked at him in confusion. "What?" I asked. "Losing your virginity to me, and like that. I mean we were drunk and we didn't date or anything." he said. I looked at him and smiled. "I don't regret it. I'm glad it was you." I said. He smiled and his eyes lit up. "Really?" he said. I nodded. "I felt safe and it wasn't awkward or anything. Plus some girls lose it to some guy who they think they love but who ends up dumping them and then they never see them again. We are best friends and so that won't happen to us." I said. He chuckled. "Right," he said. "Do you regret it?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow. He laughed again. "No. I got to lose my virginity to my really gorgeous best friend." he said. I smiled and my cheeks turned red. "Thanks,'' Max said. He nodded. "Of course," he replied. Then we just stayed there and talked until I wasn't thinking about Draco at all.