61

Escape

Escape

THE NEXT DAY
CAROLINE POTTER

I've been sitting on my bed waiting since I woke up this morning. My leg is bouncing and my heart is racing. I keep looking at the clock, waiting for Theo. Then at 2, he came in.

He ran in and shut the door behind him. "It's time. Get dressed." he said. I froze for a moment before my brain kickstarted. I put on a dress and a sweater and tied my converse. Then I grabbed the bag I packed from under the bed and Theo handed me my wand. "Are you ready?" he asked. I nodded. He pulled the hood of my jacket over my head and forced a smile. "It's going to be fine. Just keep your head down and do what I say," he said. "Let's go," I said. I took one last look at the room before we slipped out the door. I could feel the wards resisting but we kept going. We went down the stairs and kept walking. Theo held my hand and I kept my wand up my sleeve. We heard voices and Theo and I hid behind a corner. He shielded my body with his and I buried my face in his chest. ""Shhhh," he whispered. The voices faded and he peeked around the side of the wall. "Ok," he said. We kept going and ran down the second set of stairs. We got to the living room and there was laughter and men's voices. "This way," Theo whispered. He pulled me down the halls and we headed for the door. That's when it happened...

"Mr. Nott, what's your hurry?" a voice said. We froze and Theo turned around. "No rush," he said. "I didn't know guests could bring a guest," another voice said. Theo squeezed my hand and I kept my eyes glued to the floor. "Draco said I could-" he started. "Draco isn't here," the voice snapped. "Who's your friend?" another voice said. "Just some girl I picked up at the bar," he mumbled. "Aren't you going to introduce us?" the voice said. The men were snickering and laughing. Theo tensed up and I gripped my wand. "She's a nobody," he said. "That's not very nice, Theodore. Just because you didn't like her doesn't mean we can't have a turn," the man said. I felt someone grab my arm and whip me around. "No!" Theo exclaimed. I could see their shoes. Dragon leather. Then someone pulled back my hood. "Holy fucking shit!" the man yelled. Theo and I both drew our wands and stood with our backs pressed to each other. "Caroline Potter!" the other man said. They pointed their wands at us and my breath caught in my throat. "Let us go. Nobody has to get hurt," Theo said. "You're helping her? Oh, this is rich! Wait until the Dark Lord finds out," the third man said. "No! I made him help me. It's not his fault," I said. "I won't let you take her. You're going to have to kill me if you want to get near her," Theo said. "Theo, no!" I said. "We could kill you. Or we can get the bounty on both of you." the man said. "Caroline Potter and her accomplice. What is that like...10,000 galleons?" the man said. "None of you are getting paid," a voice spat. I looked past them and Draco was walking in. He was wearing death eater robes and had blood on his face. "Master Malfoy, you were supposed to be on a mission in-" the man started. "I came back." he spat. They bowed their heads and he walked closer. I could tell he was seething. He glared at Theo and tears filled my eyes. "Draco, mate I-" Theo started. "Silence." Draco spat. Theo went quiet. "You're a disgrace." Draco spat. Theo's face fell. "I did the right thing, you can hate me if you want to. If it will make you feel better about yourself and what you did," Theo said. Draco looked at the other death eaters and nodded. "Take him, I'll deal with him in a moment," he said. "What?! No! Draco, what are you-" I started. "Shut up!" he spat. The death eaters grabbed Theo and took his wand. "Incarcerous," one said. Ropes wrapped around his wrists and bound them behind his back. Then they gagged him. Draco walked closer and I held my wand up. He smirked and chuckled. "Really, Potter? You're in a house full of over 50 death eaters. You have no chance. Give me your wand and I won't hurt you." he said. I shook my head and stepped back. "No. I know you won't hurt me," I said. He scoffed. "You know nothing," he spat. I was surrounded and I knew I was screwed. But I won't go down without a fight. I threw a curse at him and he blocked it. I dodged curses and threw them back. "Expelliarmus!" Draco yelled. My wand snapped from my hand and into his. I immediately turned to run and I almost got to the front door. "Petrificus Totalus" the man yelled. My body went stiff and I hit the floor. Draco's face dropped and he ran to my side. The men were laughing and walked over. "We got her," one said. Draco forced a smile and nodded. They tied me and gagged me just like Theo. Then they dragged us to the drawing room. "Call him," the man said. Draco locked eyes with me and I could tell he was scared. "I can deal with the-" he started. "No, we all know the protocol. If a Potter is captured we are to call him immediately." the man said. Draco nodded. "I know. I'll do it." he said. He lifted his sleeve and pressed the tip of his wand to his skin. Then the Dark Lord was summoned. I wish I could say goodbye to Harry. Before I die.