29

Cold Blood

CAROLINE POTTER

First, it was flashes of memories. Of the past. I watched my mother die, I saw Cedric's lifeless body hit the ground, I saw Sirius get pulled into the veil. I saw it all. The memories flashed through my head over and over. Then I saw Voldemort. He dug his way through my memories, watching me and taunting me. "Weak, vulnerable," he said. I felt pain overwhelm my body and a sharp stabbing in my mind. Beads of sweat formed on my body as I shook. Then I saw Harry and I standing, hand in hand and facing Voldemort in a mirror. Then I saw our friends watching us in the distance. I heard Dumbledore's voice echo in the back of my mind. "It isn't how you are alike. It's how you are not." he said. Then I saw good memories. "You're the weak one," Harry said. Voldemort paused and looked at us. "You'll never know love or friendship." Harry continued. I nodded. I stared at him and spoke. "I feel sorry for you." I said calmly. Then Harry smashed his wand into the mirror and it shattered. I laid on the floor next to Harry and watched as Voldemort stood over us. "You're a fool, Potters and you will lose everything." he said. Then I felt cold air blow over us and he was gone. He was gone and it was over.

"Caroline!" I could hear someone calling my name. It felt distant. "Caroline!" they shouted again. My eyes fluttered open and Harry was holding me in his arms. "I saw him. In my head." I said. He nodded. "I know," he said with a nod. "Sirius-" I started. "I know," he whispered. He helped me to my feet and I looked around. My friends stood there, Remus, Tonks, Dumbledore. I saw green flashes of light as Aurors filled the room. "I want to go home." I said to Harry. He nodded. "Me too." he said quietly. I held his hand and we started to leave. Then I saw the flashes. People began to take pictures of us. The lights flashed and I felt blinded. Tears filled my eyes and I wanted to scream. Dumbledore quickly pushed past them and led us out. Then we left.

When we got back to school, we were taken to the hospital wing. I sat on a cot next to Harry and stared at the floor as silent tears streamed down my cheeks. "Caz! Caz, where are you?!" I heard Max yell. He ran in and his eyes looked around frantically. Then he saw me and ran over. "Caz," he said quietly. I looked up at him with tears in my eyes and he sat down next to me. "I'm sorry" he whispered. He pulled me into his arms and I cried into his chest. I cried for hours. Then I heard more footsteps. Then arguing. Then I recognized the voices. "Let me in! I have to see her. I deserve to see her." they yelled. It was Draco. "No! She doesn't want to see you, you git!" Ginny yelled back. "She just stupefied us all and disappeared and now she won't see me? Why?" he asked. "Ask your father!" Ginny snapped. "What? I don't-" he started. I stood up and walked over to the door. Draco stood there with Blaise and Theo. They looked wrecked. "Caroline!" he exclaimed. I said nothing. "What the hell is the matter with you? Why did you stupefy us!" Blaise snapped. "I thought we were friends." Theo said. I just stared at Draco. He looked so hurt and confused. "Line, what happened?" he asked. "Your father was at the ministry." I said quietly. His face fell. "What did he do to you?" he asked. "Your aunt murdered Sirius." I said. I kept my eyes to the floor as I refused to look at his face. "What?" Theo asked. "Bellatrix Lestrange is your aunt. Right?" I asked him. He nodded hesitantly. "She killed him in cold blood." I said. "What! When did this happens? And why?" Blaise asked. "Your father wanted a prophecy. For Voldemort. There was a fight." I said. Draco's eyes were filled with fear. "Line, I'm so sorry. I am so so sorry!" he said. "Did you know?" I asked quietly, my voice barely above a whisper. "What!?" He exclaimed. "Did you know? What was he planning?" I asked. Draco's face dropped and his eyes went dark. "You think I knew?! You think I would let that happen! You think I wouldn't tell you!" he shouted. I just watched him. "Don't you trust me?" he asked. I shrugged. "Yes- well-I don't know. I don't know anything anymore." I said. His face turned solem and his eyes went glassy. "Do you still love me?" he asked as his voice cracked. "Line? Please look at me" he said. I was frozen. "Please! Say something!" he yelled. I slowly met his eyes. "I'll always love you." I said calmly. "I will do whatever you want. Just tell me what you-" he started. "Please just go." I said. "What?" he exclaimed. "I need you to go." I repeated. "What?" he said. "It's not your fault and I will always love you but right now, I can't look at you. Your father- I just- you have your fathers eyes. You have his eyes and I can't look at you right now because I see him." I said. I watched a tear fall to Draco's cheek and he stood there frozen. "Come on mate, she needs time," Theo said quietly. Blaise and Theo started to pull him away but Draco struggled. "Please don't push me away. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything!" he begged. "Please Draco, just leave" I said. His friends pulled him away and I watched them disappear around a corner. When I turned around, I looked at Max. "How did this happen?" I cried. I sank to the floor and he held me. "I don't know, Caz. I'm sorry." he whispered back.