42

I'm Not Him

CAROLINE POTTER

A few minutes later, I went and showered and changed. When I came out, Blaise and Enzo were smoking and Theo was still in his room. "He still hasn't come out?" I asked. They both shook their heads. "I'll go talk to him," I said. "Are you sure? I mean- are you sure you're feeling ok?" Enzo said. I nodded. "I'm fine," I said. Blaise stood up and walked over. "Caroline, you aren't fine. And nobody expects you to be." he said. I wiped the tears from my cheeks and forced a smile. "I'm fine, Blaise. Really. I've been through worse," I said. Then I quickly walked away. I stood in the doorway of Theo's room and he was sitting on the floor, drinking. "Theo-" I said gently. He looked up and shook his head. "Please leave, Caroline. I can't- not right now," he said. I walked in and shut the door and sat down next to him. "I told you to go," he said. "I don't care. I'm not going to just pretend Harry didn't say what he said." I said. "It's fine, Caroline." he mumbled. "No, it's not. What he said was awful and not true. I told him to leave." I said. His face fell. "You need your brother right now," he said. "Not if those are the things he's going to say," I said. He nodded. "He was right though," he said. "Theo, no. He wasn't. He was angry at himself. It wasn't your fault." I said. He scoffed. "I should have fought harder. I was there to protect you. That was my one job and I couldn't even manage that," he said. "Theo, please." I said. "No, I deserved what they did to me," he said. "Did I?" I said. He looked at me quickly. "Did I deserve it?" I asked. "No! How could you- no! Of course not." he said. "How can you blame yourself but not me?" I asked. He looked down and sighed. I held his face and he looked at me. "You saved me, Theo." I said. He gave a small smile. Something overtook me and I leaned in and kissed him. The second our lips connected he pulled away. Tears filled my eyes and I started to leave. "I'm sorry, I'll go. I didn't mean to-" I started. He stood up and grabbed my wrist gently to stop me. "Caroline," he said softly. I looked at him. "I'm not him, I'm not Draco." he said. Tears fell to my cheeks and I nodded. "I know. I told him we need each other and he said we don't. He was right, he doesn't need me. But I need him." I said. Theo nodded and pulled me into his arms. "Why don't you get some rest? I'll wake you for dinner," he said. I just nodded and laid down.

1 MONTH LATER

"Guys! It's time to go!" I called. I stood by the door with my trunk while the boy raced around trying to get ready. "Almost ready!" Enzo yelled. "Coming!" Theo yelled. "Be there in a second!" Blaise yelled. I sighed. "I told you we were leaving at 1, why aren't you guys packed?" I asked. "Just a bit hungover, we'll be fine though," Blaise said with a chuckle. I laughed. "Why am I not surprised?" I said. Eventually, we made it to the train station and onto the train. "Caroline, do you want to sit with us?" Enzo asked. "I'll find you guys later. I'm going to go check on Harry," I said. They nodded and I made my way through the aisles. "Caroline Potter, did you miss me?" I whipped around and my heart stopped. Graham Montague. I quickly drew my wand. "Leave me alone," I said. "Now, now, Potter. We had a great deal of fun together. Or did you forget?" he asked. He walked closer until my wand dug into his chest. "Maybe you need a reminder?" he said smugly. He reached out to stroke my face and a hand grabbed his wrist. "What have I told you about going near her?" a dark voice said. I looked behind me and Draco stood there. He threw Graham's hand back and drew his wand as he stepped in front of me. "Yes, yes, I remember you paid you a great deal of money to ensure her safety. Too bad that deal only lasted the rest of the year," he said. "No, it was for the rest of your life." Draco hissed. Graham chuckled. "If you wanted to make that deal, I'd be willing to accept it. For a new price." he said. "Draco, no!" I whispered. He ignored me. "Fine, name your price." Draco said. "No!" I exclaimed. I pushed Draco aside and faced Graham. "Umbridge is gone and you no longer have her protection. That means if you do anything to me or anyone at this school, the dementors will have you! How's that for a deal?" I snapped. His face dropped. "Fine, you weren't any good anyway." he said. "You prick! I'll show you-" he started as Draco lunged towards him. I grabbed him and held him back as Graham scurried off. "Draco, stop!" I exclaimed. He pulled away and looked at me. "I'm fine," he said sharply. But he wasn't. His eyes were sunken and there were dark bags under them. He was too thin and there was a constant tremble in his hands. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes and he just looked at me. "Draco, what happened to you?" I asked, my voice shaky. He turned to leave and I grabbed his arm. I held his shoulders and pulled him close. "Please, let me help you. Please," I said. He forced a smile and shook his head. "Go find your brother, Line. You'll be safe with him." he said calmly. Then he walked off.