21

TIME JUMP: 1 WEEK

CAROLINE POTTER

"Isn't there anything else we can do?" I woke up to the sound of voices outside my cot. I opened my eyes and Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Madame Pomfrey were talking. "I'm afraid not. I've exhausted all attempts to stall her. There is nothing to keep me from clearing her and Umbridge knows it." Madame Pomfrey said. "So what does that mean?" Ron asked. "It means she has to resume all normal activities. Go to lessons, stay in her dorms, even participate in the barbaric punishments Umbridge has created." she said. "But she can't just go back, she's not well." Hermione said. "Umbridge has made it clear that since there is nothing else I can do to heal her injuries she has to be released. I'm so sorry." Madame Pomfrey said. "But, she could-" Harry started. "It's ok." I said. They all froze and looked at me. "C, you still need time," Harry said. "I'm fine. There's nothing else Madame Pomfrey can do." I said. I sat up and pulled my sweater on. "It's ok, Ma'am. I appreciate everything you did for me," I said. She gave a sad nod and left.

"Caroline, I don't think it's a good idea for you to be wandering around the castle when Marcus, Adrian and Graham are still free." Harry said. I felt ill just at the mention of their names. "Well, it doesn't matter because there's nothing we can do." I said. "That's not entirely true..." I turned around to see Draco standing behind everyone. My eyes became glassy and I glared at him.

"Listen Caroline, I'm sorry. I had to-" he started. I shoved him back and cut him off. "Where the hell have you been?!" I exclaimed. "I had to handle something," he said. "I didn't see you for a week. I needed you. I needed you here. With me," I said. "Line, I'm sorry," he said. "I was scared and the one person I knew could make me feel safe abandoned me." I yelled. "I'm here now," he said. "It's too late." I said. His face fell. "You need to leave, Malfoy." Harry said. Draco looked at me with sadness in his eyes. "Do you want me to leave?" he asked. His voice was shaky. "Yes." I said. His eyes watered and he turned around and walked out without another word. "Come on, C. Let's get back to our dorms." Harry said. I shook my head. "No. I can't go back yet. I need to do something first." I said. "What is it?" Hermione asked. "I need to go talk to Umbridge." I said. "Are you mad?" Harry exclaimed. "No!" Hermione said. "Not bloody likely!" Ron added. "She's the only one that can tell those boys to leave me alone." I said. "She won't do that, C." Harry said. "You know that, right?" Hermione asked. "I have to try." I said. "This is a bad idea," Ron said. "Maybe, but it's the only one I've got." I said. They just nodded and we left.

We got to Umbridge's office and knocked on the door. She opened the door with that same creepy smile as always. "Miss Potter, what can I help you with today?" she asked. "You know what I need." I said. She grinned and opened the door more. "Come inside, we'll have tea and talk." she said. I went in and my friends started to follow. "Just Miss Potter. You 3 can wait out here." she said. Harry opened his mouth to protest but I shook my head. Then she shut the door. "I see you are out of the hospital." she said as she prepared tea. "Yes ma'am. My injuries are still healing but I'm doing fine." I said. "That's the price of disobedience." she said. "Yes, and I will join my friends in detention tomorrow." I said. She nodded. "Is that all?" she asked. I shook my head. "You see, I've been thinking. And  I broke the rules and that deserves punishment, do you agree?" I asked. She nodded. "Well, despite what orders you may have given those 3 boys from your Inquisitorial Squad, the law trumps those orders." I said. "What are you-" she started. "And I'm sure you want this kept quiet as much as I do. Because I'd hate for Rita Skeeter to find out that you helped 3 of your students rape Caroline Potter. You see, us being the children who lived, we have far more support in the wizarding world than you do." I said. "Are you threatening me?" she spat. "No. A threat would be me saying if you ever use your power at this school to harm another student, I will use my power as a Potter to rain hell upon you like never before." I said. She narrowed her eyes at me. "What do you want?" she snapped. "I want you to revoke whatever immunity you gave those animals. Tell them if they ever come near me again, there will be those severe consequences you always talk about." I said. "Very well, though all this is unnecessary. Mr. Malfoy already handled this." she said. My face fell. "What?" I asked. "He paid a hearty bribe to me and those boys to keep their hands off you. 5,000 galleons each." she said with a smirk. "You're sick." I spat. "You're excused." she spat back. I walked out and slammed the door. "What happened?" Harry asked. I walked quickly down the halls and they followed.

"I was wrong." I said. They all looked confused. "Draco didn't abandon me." I said.