86

CAROLINE POTTER

We were quiet as we stood in Dumbledore's office. Ron, Hermione, Max and I watched as Harry prepared the pensive. Then Harry looked at me. "Are you ready?" he asked. I nodded.

When I stuck my head in, I saw Snapes memories. I was surprised when I saw he was friends with our mother. But that didn't shock me nearly as much as the conversation between him and Dumbledore. "You've been raising them like pigs for slaughter!" Snape yelled. "Yes, but only one of them," Dumbledore said. Snape stared at him. "One twin has to sacrifice themselves and their magic to make the others stronger." he said. "You want one twin to kill the other?" Snape exclaimed. "It's the only way," he said. I watched the rest of it and then we pulled our heads out. I felt ill, like I had to throw up.

"What happened? What did you see?" Hermione asked. "One of us has to die," I said quietly. "What?" they exclaimed. "One of us has to die. So the others magic is stronger to defeat him," I said. Harry and I looked at eachother. "What do we do?" Max asked. I pulled the dagger from my pocket and everyone froze. Harry stared at the blade and gave a small smile. "It's ok, just do it." he said. "No! Caroline, don't!" Hermione said. "It's ok, C. I understand," he said. I nodded. "I knew you would," I replied. Then I turned the dagger on myself and plunged it into my stomach. I pushed it as deep into my gut as I could and the pain shot through my body. "No!" Harry screamed. I looked down as the blood began to seep through my shirt. I touched it and stumbled back. Max caught me and lowered me to the ground. Harry ran to my side and rested my head on his knees. "What do we do? Someone do something!" he said. "Do we take it out?" Ron asked. "No! She'll bleed out." Hermione said. Max took off his jacket and wrapped it around the wound, pressing it to my stomach. I looked up at Harry as blood pooled on the floor. "Shhhh, it's ok." I said weakly. "Why did you do that? It was supposed to be me!" he said. "It's ok. I'm ready." I said. Tears streamed down his cheeks as I coughed blood and it spilled over the side of my mouth. I was sweating and my face was pale. Ron held Hermione as she cried and Max was still trying to stop the bleeding. "Draco, I need to- to s-say- to tell him-" I said. Harry looked up at Ron and Hermione. "Go find him!" he exclaimed. They ran out and he looked back at me. "Does it hurt you as much as it hurts me?" I asked. "Yes. It- it does." he said. "You're a good big brother." I said. He smiled. "I love you so much. You're gonna be with mum and dad now. You get to see them and Cedric and Sirius and Remus and Tonks and Fred. All of them. They'll be with you," he said. I smiled. About a minute or two passed and Draco burst through the door. He saw me and his face paled. He dropped to his knees and pulled me into his arms. "Don't do this," he started. I smiled and placed my hand on his cheek. "I told you I'm at peace with it. It's time to make yours as well, love." I said. He shook his head. "Fuck no! You aren't dying. Don't you fucking dare," he said. I smiled. "I'll miss your foul language," I smiled. "Please Line. I need you. I need you here with me. Please, don't go." he said, his voice shaky and uneven. "I have to. But you're gonna be ok." I said. "No," he said. I nodded. "Yes. I need t-to t-tell you. Harry is going to make sure you don't go to Azkaban. And your mother is going to be fine. And your going to fall in love again and live a happy life," I said. "I don't want anyone else, I want you. I want a happy life with you!" he said. "I'm sorry, love. Will you hold my hand?" I asked. He took my ice cold hand and kissed it. "I love you." he said. I nodded. "I know, I love you more." I said. "Not possible," he replied. Then I closed my eyes.

HARRY POTTER

The second she closed her eyes and her hand went limp in his, I froze. Draco shook her and tears fell to his cheeks. "Line?" he said. She was dead. He screamed so loud and it was heart wrenching. Sobs wracked his body and he held her body against his. "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" he screamed. Max just stared at her and held her hand. I turned around and walked out. She confronted her fate, it's time to confront mine. I said goodbye to Ron and Hermione and I walked into the forest. "Harry Potter, the boy who lived, come to die." Voldemort said.