45

Amortentia

CAROLINE POTTER

"This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It is rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." Hermione explained. "Very good, Miss Granger. And what do you smell?" Professor Slughorn asked. Hermione began to tell what she smelled and I'll bet anything it was what Ron smelled like. She really did like him. "Alright everyone, line up. You'll each get a chance to smell what attracts you," Professor Slughorn said. We all lined up and Max and I stood together. I watched Draco as he walked to the very back with his head down. People went up to the cauldron and rattled off what they smelled and we watched. "What do you think I'm going to smell?" Max asked me. I smirked. "I don't know. What does Parker smell like?" I asked. He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "We only just started to get to know each other. He may not even like me like that," he said. I chuckled. "You're so oblivious. He was blushing the entire time you two spoke," I said. He smiled. "Really? I didn't notice," he said. I laughed. He walked up to the cauldron and inhaled. "I smell- cedarwood and- I think- oranges," he said. Then it was my turn. I walked up to the cauldron and took a deep breath. I knew who I smelled within an instant. I looked at Draco and his eyes were glued to the ground. "What do you smell, Miss Potter?" Professor Slughorn asked. "Spearmint and citrus, it's- it's green apples," I said. A small smile crept onto my face and I sat down. When I looked at Draco we locked eyes and he held back a smile. Eventually, almost everyone had gone and it was Draco's turn. He walked up to the cauldron and inhaled. He closed his eyes for a moment and then looked up. "I don't smell anything," he said quietly. "Well, that's quite unusual. Very well, off to the side." Professor Slughorn said. Draco stepped to the side and Theo whispered something to him again. Draco shook his head. Theo spoke again and Draco started to walk away. "Draco mate-" Theo started. "Professor, may I be excused?" Draco asked. "Yes, Mr. Malfoy." he said. Draco rushed out and Theo followed. "Mr. Nott! You don't have permission. Come back here-" Professor Slughorn started. Max and I exchanged worried glances but they were both gone.

DRACO MALFOY

When I leaned into that cauldron, and smelled what I smelled, I nearly broke down right there. English tea and butterscotch. I stepped to the side and Theo stood next to me. "Are you alright?" he whispered to me. I shook my head. "Draco, you need to just-" he started. But I just walked away. "Professor, may I be excused?" I asked. "Yes, Mr. Malfoy." he replied. I rushed and Theo followed. "Draco! Mate! Come back!" he yelled. I ran down the halls and into the boys bathroom. "Draco!" he yelled as he followed me. When I got inside, I slumped against the wall and buried my face in my hands. Memories of Caroline flashed through my head and I tried to put occlumency walls. Tears streamed down my cheeks and Theo walked in slowly. "Mate," he said gently. He sat down next to me and I looked at him. "I smelled her. I smelled Caroline. And she smelled me." I said in a shaky voice. He nodded. "I know," he said. "I need her. I can't do it without Caroline." I said. His face fell. "You can't tell her," he said. "I know. But maybe I can find another way. To be with her without her finding out the truth," I said. He sighed. "How?" he asked. I shrugged. "I don't know. All I know is that I can keep ignoring her. It hurts too much." I said. He nodded. "I know, mate. I know." he said. Then we just sat there in silence.

CAROLINE POTTER

The second we were dismissed, I tried to rush out of class to find Draco. I got to the hallway when I heard Harry. "C! Wait up!" he called. He ran over but I was looking around for Draco. "Not now, Harry. I have something to-" I started. "Dumbledore wants to see us in his office," he said. I sighed. "Fine," I mumbled. We walked to his office and went inside. "Ah the Potter twins. Thank you for coming." he said. "It's no trouble, Sir." I said. "Lemon drop?" he asked. We both shook our heads. "I just wanted to check in with you both. I was informed of what happened this summer at your Aunt and Uncle's home." he said. My face fell and I looked down. "Yes sir, Caroline and I won't be going back there. I don't care what the rules say, I won't let my sister be put in that situation again," Harry said. "I agree. You won't be safe there anyway, not with the war." he said. Harry nodded. "Caroline," Dumbledore said. I looked up. "Yes, Sir." I said. "Are you alright? I know what happened and I can't imagine how awful that was for you." he said. "No, you can't. But I'm fine." I said. He nodded. "Thank you for coming, Caroline. You may go. Harry, I need another moment," he said. I looked at Harry and he nodded. "It's ok, go." he said. I nodded and left.

DRACO MALFOY

I watched them leave Dumbledore's office and then I went in. He saw me and I knew that he knew. "I told you so," I spat. Then I left.