Chapter 22 - Pain Cut In Two

"Am I wrong for thinking this?" Renjun whispered, his hands gripping the arms of the grand chair he was sat in. The room was quiet, no response immediately following. The young demon wanted nothing more than to cry the pains away, but he knew crying wouldn't solve anything and likely wouldn't even make him feel any better.

The man before him stood up, the chair making noise along the floor at the speed he stood at. Renjun lifted his head, his eyes landing on the red ones before him.

"Renjun, we're very happy you're apart of this family now. It's an amazing thing, to find your soulmate and I'm happy you're the one for my son." Taeyong spoke, his matching red eyes staring back at the young demon before him. Renjun nodded, acknowledging that he was right, but still, it didn't take the pain away. 

Taeyong continued, "You're feelings are valid. You've made a mistake, one that is irreversible. It's something that will define you and change you forever."

Renjun nodded once again, "Yes, sir. It is."

"You don't want to see your friend make the same mistake. That's a normal response, Renjun." He carefully spoke, trying his best to get the point across. From the seat at Renjun's side, Jaehyun nodded along, trying his best to support the clearly emotional young demon. Taeyong sighed, leaning his body weight against the desk, his palms laid flat on the top.

He slowly looked up, his red eyes bouncing from Renjun to Jaehyun, before he spoke, "I feel guilt for treating you and Jeno so poorly last year. And I know you're struggling to find forgiveness in yourself for ending your life. I think we have this in common, guilt and finding forgiveness." Taeyong's words were slow and meticulous, as if he was carefully planning each word to come out just the way he intended. The words were powerful to Renjun, instantly making the young demon feel recognized, like someone understood his pain.

"You caused pain and suffering to your mother and friends, to save Jeno from certain death. It's a beautiful yet painful thing. In a distorted way, I did the same." Taeyong paused, rounding the desk to stand just before the two sitting demons as he leaned against the desk, "I wanted to save Jeno. In my eyes, I thought you were the cause, and banished you both thinking I could save him. I was wrong." Jaehyun laid a hand on Renjun's which sat on the arm of the chair. Renjun looked at him, a supportive smile rising on Jaehyun's pink lips.

Taeyong continued, "I.. was wrong. I caused pain to you, but I grew from it. I'm still learning to forgive myself for what I did to you, and did to my son. I'm so deeply sorry."

Renjun nodded, tears beginning to run down his cheeks, "I understand your reasoning. And I forgive you." Taeyong's eyes lit up like a city in the dark night, like he wasn't expecting to hear the words.

Jaehyun spoke up, "Renjun, you need to find it in yourself to let go. I forgave myself as well for giving up on life, although I was frustrated when I died, after some time I missed life. I had to learn to let go, and to forgive my past self. You should too." Renjun nodded, gripping his hand tightly as a way to say thank you.

"Give yourself time. You have done what you can regarding Donghyuck, and I'm sure much of your fear will dissipate when you learn to let go of your own mistakes. You can't fear for someone else's pain when you've already come to terms with your own pain. " Jaehyun's words were strong, and meaningful. Renjun knew he was right, and knew he would get through the complicated time. He just knew it.

Taeyong walked to one of the cabinets near the bookcase, opening one that seemed at random to Renjun. He pulled a dark, hand held mirror from the space, the candle light shining a glint in the dark room, immediately catching Renjun's unwavering attention. The mirror was beautiful, of what Renjun could see thus far. It was all black, and had detailed carvings of vines etched into it, from the handle to around the frame.