Chapter 61: Family Bonds

"Lilith... she didn't die in that battle."

Everyone was surprised by the confession Lucifer made. Satan stared at him with wide eyes. "What...?"

Asmo was in disbelief. "Excuse me?"

Levi was trying to convince himself it wasn't true. "Hold on, no..."

Mammon glared at his brother. "What the hell?! This really ain't the time to be makin' jokes like that, Lucifer!"

Avalon saw his expression and mutter so only her sisters could hear. "Dios mío, he's serious..."

Ivy nodded. She had noticed it as well. Lucifer's next words only confirmed Avalon's murmurs. "It's no joke. It's the truth. Lilith didn't actually die in the Great Celestial War."

Beel glared at his older brother, but he was surprised by the confession. "...! What do you mean by that?"

-Flashback-

Lucifer looked at Diavolo. "If it means you'll ensure that she stays alive, I'll make any sacrifice I have to. So... Diavolo, I hereby pledge my loyalty and allegiance to you...!"

-End of Flashback-

Lucifer decided to explain the truth once and for all. "Diavolo saved Lilith when she was on the verge of death. And as compensation, I swore my allegiance to him for all eternity."

Beel blinked in surprise. "So you did that to save Lilith's life...?"

Satan was in disbelief. "... This is the first I've ever heard of this."

Lucifer eyed him. "Yes, I should think so, because this is the first time I've ever spoken of it. Diavolo had Lilith reborn as a human."

Levi was confused. "Then what about her memory? Would she remember being an angel?"

Mammon shook his head. "Nah, no way... she would've lost all memory of her former life for sure."

Satan finally decided to pipe up. "Wait, you guys are getting ahead of yourselves here? Have you forgotten how long ago the Great Celestial War was? Even if she was reborn as a human, by now she'd have to be... you know..."

He didn't have to say another word. Because the word he would have said was dead. Asmo glared at his eldest brother. "Lucifer, why didn't you say anything to us? How could you keep something so important from us...?!"

Lucifer narrowed his eyes at Asmo. "Because we were prohibited from coming into contact with the human Lilith. Lilith was alive, yes. And nothing was stopping you from going down there to see her if you had a mind to do that. Yet it was strictly forbidden, under any and all circumstances. I thought it was best that I be the only one who had to live with the pain of knowing that."

Mammon glared at him. "So why couldn't we go see Lilith, huh?!"

There were plenty of reasons. One being that she might not recognize them. Her memory might have been wiped. Asmo hummed. "It only makes sense. After all, she'd been sentenced to death for her crime. Imagine what would've happened if word had gotten out that someone had saved her, and she'd been reborn as a human!"

Levi seemed to get what he was saying. "Yeah, even though it was the son of the Demon King himself who did it, there would have been a SERIOUS reckoning."

Beel decided to glare at Lucifer. "Still...! I at least would like to have known. Even if I couldn't see her again, I would like to have known that Lilith was alive...!"

Lucifer looked away from them. "... I made the choice I made because I thought it was best at the time. What if it had been you, Ivy? ... What would you have done?"