Chapter Six

Little puffs of air left her mouth with every breath she took

   Little puffs of air left her mouth with every breath she took. She looked at the stars and her eyes shined bright even under the moonlight.

   "Woah," she whispered, still focused on the stars. "There are so many."

   "My mother and father came here when they were dating. After Vienna and I were born it became a family tradition to come to this spot." Those were the best times in my childhood. The ones I savored.

   "What other traditions did you have?" Kiara peered at me, sounding interested. It made me beyond happy. Usually when she'd ask questions it felt different. This felt genuine. Like the answer mattered.

   "Every Friday after school we would have a family game night. We would play a variety of board games and just eat the junkiest foods we could. I remember loving it because I was a carbohydrate crazed kid." Kiara let out a sweet laugh. Hearing it made the thumping it my heart more noticeable. Kiara kept staring, urging me to continue. "Every Christmas Eve we would bake cookies and decorate them. Vienna had a tendency to burst into tears because I would purposely ruin her cookie designs."

   "That sounds nice," she replied.

   "How about you and your parents?" I questioned.

   Kiara looked at her feet, kicking some stray leaves. "I never had any. My father left when I was five and my mother was always busy working." My heart wrenched. Not just because she had no family but because she sounded impartial to it. It was her normal. "But I don't mind. I just like hearing about yours."

   "So what do you do during holiday break?" I couldn't contain my sudden curiosity. So many questions arose within me but I knew I would have to somewhat cage them inside. Kiara had finally willingly told me something about herself. There was no way I was going to back her into a corner now.

   "I usually stay in the dorms. My mother convinced the building administration to give me a key. You know since she's always working there was no reason to go home."

   "What would you do with all the free time?"

   "Study old notes." Study. She spent every holiday studying. All those lonely nights, studying. It's as if...

   An uncomfortable truth became apparent. She'd been trained these habits. It wasn't a coping mechanism or out of wanting to just pass class. It was the only thing she knew.

   I couldn't help but imagine Kiara sitting in a completely vacant apartment with nobody. As everyone was in a comfy home with family, she sat alone in her dorm.

   It made sense now. Why she never had a gift before me. Why she kept the necklace on at all times. How every time I saw her it was there. I took for granted how much she cared for it. How glad she was to have it. She didn't wear it for my sake, but for hers.