Chapter Seven

I felt a twinge of guilt

   I felt a twinge of guilt. Being with people was out of my norm and I never know how to act. How to behave or what to do. I overthink and wonder about what I'm supposed to say. What do people talk about? Do I talk? Should I talk? Is there anything I have to say?

   It became harder to try and socialize the older I got. Eventually it became better to not try at all. I just couldn't understand people and they couldn't understand me.

   I was at the lake again, feeding the ducks with the last of my bread. They pecked and pecked. The stood duckling sat on the floor this time, eating away.

   "Need some more?" Emmett showed himself along with a long loaf of bread.

   "Why aren't you at the cabin?"

   "Boring without you." He broke a chunk of bread off, handing it to me.

   "How is Vienna?"

   "Good. We resolved our mini argument."

   "I'm sorry Emmett." The gaping feeling in my stomach presented itself.

   "You apologize too much darling. Vienna and I chose to fight. It's a sibling thing." I remained quiet. "What did you hear?"

   I tried recounting what it was I exactly heard. "It was something about me not liking you and how I would never like you."

"It was along those lines."

"It's not true," I blurted. "I like you as a person. You're kind and do thoughtful gestures." I tried putting the right words together, hoping it made sense. I spoke without thinking of a proper and formulated response.

"I'm glad you think so. I like you too." The word 'like' had meaning. It must have, because I was also happy that Emmett felt the same way I did. I was happy because somebody finally found enjoyment within me. "Today marks the day we officially labeled ourselves, friends."

Friends. Something banned my whole life. Something that was unattainable and confusing for my whole life. I never cared before for the rule of no friends but now, the unattainable was attainable.

"I've never had a friend before. What do I do?" I asked, hoping for guidance.

"Nothing." Emmett picked another chunk off from the loaf. He started throwing small crumbs on the ground with me. "You just continue as you are. Easy enough?"

"Yes."

   I wanted Emmett's friendship. I wanted what came with it. If restrictions and rules had to be broken to feel the way I feel now, I would break all of them.

The next day came and Vienna arrived home. She looked more cheerful than before.

"Welcome back."