Chapter Ten

I bounced back to my healthy self quickly

I bounced back to my healthy self quickly. My aching gone and same with my coughing. All I had were mild sniffles. Whatever medicine Vienna got was god sent.

Missing a day of lectures screwed me over and now I was deep in my studies. I had about a billion different assignments piled up. Knowing my mother had access to my grade book had me at a higher alert.

I decided against working in the park due to my risk of getting worse again. I didn't bother letting Emmett know. I made him take care of me and same with Vienna. The least I could do was spend some time away.

I was also embarrassed. I had acted like a child. A pathetic hopeless child. I was exactly the same from middle school. Had nothing seriously changed?

When I caught up on my studies and assignments the library was coming to a close. I walked back, tucked cozily into my coat.

The warmth of my apartment welcomed me along with a new smell. I identified it as pumpkin.

After I fully emerged into the apartment, I saw Vienna at the kitchen counter. She was messing with liquids and powders. Another perfume concoction.

   "It smells nice," I stated, shrugging my coat off and placing it on the rack.

   "You think?" She piped up. "I wanted to do something festive." Vienna walked over, tilting the liquid towards me. I took a whiff.

   "Very...delightful," I smiled reassuringly. She was talented beyond words.

   "I can always trust your opinion!" Vienna moved the bowl away, setting it on the counter. "Emmett was here earlier. I wasn't so sure where you went but figured you wanted to take some time alone."

   "How did you know?"

   Vienna briefly glanced at me. "Emmett can be suffocating at times. And same with me. You were always alone before. I figured you missed it."

   I wasn't sure on how I felt. But I know missing it was not really the truth. I didn't hate being alone but it was still new to me, being around people.

   "I do not think you guys are suffocating. I enjoy both of you. I was the the one who did not want to be a bother," I said articulately.

   "You've never been a bother."

   I felt relieved that Vienna said that. She also had the power off putting me at ease. I felt glad. I shuffled in my feet. A sudden urgency to speak my mind came over me. "I did not realize it before but you have been my friend before I knew what a friend was." Vienna stopped mixing, frozen in time.  "I had always thought Emmett was my first friend but I do believe it was you."

   Her lips quivered and she set the whisk down. "Have I upset you?" I hurriedly asked. "I know we did not officially label ourselves—"

   Vienna ran over and squeezed me tightly. "Thank you Kiara." She croaked. "You mean so much to me. I always want you to be happy."