Chapter Thirty One

Dinner was eventful

   Dinner was eventful. His mother pulled out their family scrapbooks, showing me a plethora of photos of Emmett and Vienna from all different ages.

   "This one's my favorite," I gushed at a teenage Emmett with birthday cake covering his face and a scowl plastered on.

   "You would like that," Emmett muttered with his arms crossed.

   "Keep it Kiara. We have three," Will pitched in.

   "Thanks!" I exclaimed, slipping it into my back pocket.

   "You're not actually keeping that are you?" Emmett whimpered.

   "Yes. It's cute and funny."

   Once dinner settled we headed our separate ways. I figured we would go back to our rooms like last time but Emmett had other plans.

   "I want to show you a something," he said, dragging me out the door, faster than I could comprehend. We walked for about ten minutes, reaching the top of a dirt grass hill, overlooking the small part of the city. "When I was in middle school, they referred to this as the Kissing Point. If you came up here, then you had to kiss whoever you were with."

"You took me here to kiss me?"

"Not exactly. That's a plus. It's just beautiful here."

"It is," I agreed. Seeing the vast lights twinkling felt satisfying and relaxing.

   "When we were going through humiliating me with my photos, I wondered, what you were like at those ages?"

   "The same," I answered. "I never changed until recently."

   "It's hard to believe no one wanted to be your friend."

   I recalled an event. "One kid in middle school asked me out of a date but it was a dare and he ran away saying he couldn't go through with it because I was ugly." It didn't hurt me to remember that but it bothered Emmett.

   "I'll sucker punch him. What's his name?"

   "I don't remember Emmett. He was a kid too so it doesn't matter."

   "Did people often give you a hard time?"

   "I guess. I don't really mind, or I guess, I didn't."

   "I wish I'd met you then," he whispered, wrapping his arms around my waist, taking place behind me. "We could've had more time together."

   "We wouldn't have been friends."

   "Why do you say that?"

   "Because we weren't even friends a year ago. You only talked to me because Beth was gone," I stated.

   "Don't say that," he said, breaking away from me. I faced him. His eyebrows furrowed. "That's not true."

   "I don't mind. It doesn't bother me."