Chapter Twenty Eight

The small and unsecured wooden boats floated about in the lake

The small and unsecured wooden boats floated about in the lake. There were dozens of them, mostly consisting of small groups of friends or couples.

Kiara and I's lanterns were set in front of us as we waited for the appropriate time to launch them up. She was currently snapping shots of everything around us and occasionally myself. I was never photogenic but I'd be a model if she was the photographer.

I was engrossed in her every movement. Engrossed in her passion and skill. You could tell she loved it. She held that camera closer to her than any other object. I knew she knew she loved it but I don't think she was aware that this was her future. Something she would no doubtingly be amazing at in the long run.

Pure darkness enveloped the sky, a small ray of stars giving a sliver of light. Instrumental music coming from the surface afar embraced our ears. That was the signal.

Kiara took the given lighter, burning the middle of our lanterns. Her eyes glimmered as she stared at them.

"Aren't you going to take photos?" I tried reminding, wondering why she hadn't picked her camera up yet.

"I was but a photo wouldn't do this justice." She lifted her lantern up. "Plus, I rather just spend the moment with you." A tender smile surfaced on her face.

She was going to be the death of me.

"Go ahead darling," I signaled.

She pushed the floating lanterns up, and it met with the others. It was truly beautiful. I'd never seen something like this. Never experienced it.

"You're turn," she belted.

I let mine go, watching it catch up to Kiara's.

We sat and watched quietly, making sure to not miss a second of this special moment.

A small stray duckling came up to the side of our boat. I looked around and saw no others. Kiara leaned over the side, slightly tilting the boat.

"Hey bud," she greeted. She took out her camera and took a quick shot before putting it back down. She stuck her hand out and stroked it's head. "Emmett, you should greet the duck." Only Kiara would want me to do that.

"Hi duck." Kiara gave me a dirty look. I sighed in defeat, leaning over like her. "You're guardian angel over here wants me to properly introduce myself." I stuck out my hand. "I'm Emm—" My sentence got cut short when the little shit snapped at me and flailed, making me fall backwards. The boat moved aggressively and somehow I fell in.

The water was freezing. I scrambled to the surface and hugged the side of the boat. Kiara was grasping the side, looking at me. In contrast to me, she was actually dry. Oh, and she was laughing.

"I hate ducks."

She leaned down at my wet appearance. "Why is it that this gave me major deja vu?"