Chapter Thirty Five

Emmett loved me

Emmett loved me. He actually said it. The words I'd only heard once from my father over a video.

Hearing it made my heart explode. Everything inside me want to melt and fall at his feet but instead he fell at mine. He begged, pleaded for me but I couldn't. I'm a coward, I've always been.

I wanted Emmett's love. But I wanted my mothers more. I need to believe that my life amounted to something. I need to believe that my mother didn't make me a heartless machine just to be one.

I continued as is, pushing every aching thought and feeling of Emmett aside.

I'd been working on a life plan my mother assigned to me. Once I emailed it back over and signed up for internships she wanted me to partake in, I decided on a break.

There were no lakes around here but a cute warm cafe with a nice view of the street. Yes, that's where I'll go.

I walked out of my apartment not expecting much, but 'much' is exactly what I got. Emmett was sat against the wall but got to his feet once I fully exited.

"What are you doing here?" I just told him everything yesterday. I told him my feelings. My truth. Why was he still here? How much did I need to hurt him for him to leave? "I told you not to come back."

"I lied yesterday," he started. "I said you won, but that's not true. I'll win this game of yours. I told you, I intend on keeping you." He kept his distance.

"I'm not playing a game," I assured. Games aren't my thing, especially not mental ones.

"I'll show it to you Kiara."

"Show me what?"

"That I love you." There's those eight letters again. The eight letters that made me question every decision I'd been taught to make.

   "You don't need to prove that. I believe you."

   "Showing and proving are two different concepts. I'm going to show you why I love you, how much I love you. I'm going to show you what love is and what it should be."

   "No Emmett," my voice crackled. "You're just hurting yourself more."

   "All is fair in love and war."

   "That's an inaccurate saying. People have a misconception on that. They view it as positive but things are actually not all fair in love and war," I rambled, unable to contain myself.

   Emmett looked at me with something along the lines of adoration. A grin appeared on his face. "What?" I asked.

   "I just love you so fucking much." I began walking away from him, not wanting to hear the words anymore. "I'll be here when you come back and every time you leave."