Chapter Thirty Two

warning: mature content

   "Emmett, you got me a camera?" She finally breathed out

   "Yeah. I didn't know which one to get so I had to ask around and they told me this was the best one." Seriously, it was a whole hunt.

   She pushed it away. "You need to return it. This is too much."

   "What? I'm not going to do that."

   "How much did this cost?"

   "It doesn't matter," I shook my head, walking over to her side of the bed. "You don't need to worry about cost. I didn't buy it because I wanted praise, I did it because you deserve it." She didn't budge. "You love photography don't you? So why not use the best camera around?"

   "Don't try and sell me on it."

   I sighed. "Please, it's Christmas Kiara. I want you to take it. I want to see your photos one day plastered on a wall in some fancy exhibition, knowing they came from the camera I got you." She looked back at the box and I already sensed her breaking. "Please darling, don't fight me on this. You won't win." A few seconds of silence passed by.

   "Thank you Emmett. I appreciate it." Ah, there it is.

   "You're welcome."

   She crept underneath the bed and fetched a medium sized gift, giving it to me. "It's not as great as what you got me," she warned.

   I started peeling away the pretty gift wrap until it was all gone. "Robo Companion," I read, glazing my fingers over the box.

   "You said you wanted to build a robot but it would be too complicated and take too long so I bought one for you." Her thoughtfulness punched right through me.

  "I love it," I smiled.

   "It's lame."

   "No it's not. It's fucking amazing. You've helped fulfill a long last dream." I unraveled the little, white metal, roller robot out, turning it on. It flashed on and started to speak. "Oh my fucking god, it actually talks."

   "Please state a name for me." The robot mechanically spoke.

   "Rob," I chose without hesitation.

   "Rob the Robot? Are you sure Emmett?"

   "Hey, don't pick on it."

   The robot continued to speak and go over his abilities. He could dance, play music, tell you any fact you want, and even hold a conversation. I ended up playing with the thing for a whole hour and I failed to notice Kiara who was glaring at me.

   "Jealous of Rob?" I grinned at her grumpy expression. I picked up Rob, turning him off and setting him on the dresser. "You know robots aren't my type, right?" I crawled on top of her.