Chapter 29 | hey there bugaboo

Marinette- or ladybug at the moment, stood atop a building looking out over the city. She was suspicious, very suspicious about the fact there's been no akumas lately. A whole bunch and then suddenly nothing? What was Hawkmoth planning?

Call it paranoia but she knew something was up, so she found herself patrolling a lot more often. Although patrols weren't the same alone. She even missed he dumb puns that came from the pretty kitty that was her lost partner. Leaning against the railing of a rooftop, she sighed. She was frustrated about knowing something suspicious was up with hawkmoth, but not being able to figure it out.

Her yo-yo phone beeped, and thinking it might finally be a akuma alert she picked it up and opened it only to find something she's missed a lot recently. Cat Noir was calling. Immediately picking up, she practically yelled into the speaker.

"CAT! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WHATS-"

"Woooahhh, slow down. I know it's been a long time but please let me explain ok?" Cat Noirs voice could be heard from the other end of the call.

"Alright, you better have an good excuse. It's been six fuu- reaking months cat" she replied.

"Ok one, you can swear it's not like I'll tell on you. And two... a lot has happened in my personal life. I'm sorry I didn't tell you beforehand but it was all really sudden. I was diagnosed with chronic pain, and I've had a massive flare up recently. I collapsed because of it and everything and I've had to rest as much I can. I'm permanently on crutches because of it" he explained.

The anger she held for abandoning her suddenly turned to sympathy.

"Oh my good, are you alright? Can you still fight?" She asked.

"I'm ok at the moment. I can fight as long as I use my crutches in my civilian form. I do have my baton I can use as a walking stick in a pinch. I honestly don't know what happened, I've always had pains but they never got this bad until recently"

Ladybug sat up on the railing to continue the conversation, eager to know what the hell had been going on with her partner. She understood that if he was hurt there was no way he'd be able fight, so even though she was kind of annoyed he didn't tell her earlier and made her worry, she understood it was sudden. She was just glad he was ok and in contact with her again.

"Oh good, I was worried you'd have to give up your miraculous or something. I miss you on patrol you know? Your puns make it entertaining" Ladybug said.

"I know I'm sorry bugaboo. It was all so sudden. And on top of that things haven't been to great at home, I'm safe now but for a while I wasn't. I had to focus on my recovery and safety or I'd be totally useless in a fight with an akuma" Cat replied.

"I'm just glad you're safe. Don't worry I understand why you left, it sounds like a very complicated situation. Are you ok, emotionally?"

"Im a lot better now. I still have some stuff to sort out so I won't be back in action just yet. But rest assured I'll be right there beside you before you know it. And if something CAT-astrpohic happens I'll be there in a moments notice"

There were the puns she missed. It was the same old cat noir, just a bit emotionally beaten up and sore at the moment.

"Thanks kitty, I knew you'd never leave me. You had he worried for a bit there though, don't ever vanish on me again! I need you and your cataclysm around a lot more than you realise" she admitted.

There was a moment of silence.

"Really?" He asked.

"Really... hey, I noticed once you left that you seemed a bit... distant before you vanished. Did I... do something to upset you?" She asked.

"Well, ok listen. I understand completely that being the guardian is a lot of pressure and I don't blame you for things involving that but I did feel a bit... betrayed you know? There's a lot to the situation and when we meet next I'll explained everything and we can work things out alright? I think both of us had a lot of shit to work out in our own lives and it was affecting our relationship"

"Kitty I'm so sorry I made you feel that way, I promise I never meant it. We can talk about everything when you're healthy enough to meet up again ok? We can fix everything and apart from our identities, no more secrets"

That was what he hoped she'd say, their relationship was definitely on the rocks at the moment and needed a bit of work, but as soon as they could they'd fix everything and be partners in crime fighting again just like the good old days. Just, more matured and grown this time.

"Sounds great, we can fix this. I know we can bugaboo, we're an unstoppable duo after all. There is one last thing I want to add before I go though" Cat said.

Ladybugs interest was peaked, she wasn't sure what to expect. It seemed they'd touched on everything so far.

"Ok? Go ahead" she replied.

"Well... for the past year I was having kind of an identity crisis. But I've finally figured it out and well, I'm bisexual. And I have a boyfriend now" he admitted.

Now THAT was something she wasn't expecting. While Cat did leak Bi energy with his puns and sass, she still didn't expect it. Maybe it was because of his constant flirting with her, a girl.

"W-wow I wasn't expecting that. But I'm happy for you, I'm so glad you've figured it all out. I totally support you cat, you know I'll always love you as a friend. I suppose our shippers will be a bit surprised huh?" Ladybug reassured.

"The bi part? Eh maybe not. I've seen the head canons in your fandom. But the boyfriend part, oh yeah. Our shippers will be surprised. But know that I still deeply care for and love you, just in a more platonic way now" Cat replied.

Ladybug was happy for him, and at the same time a bit relieved. She loved cat, she really did. But only as partners, nothing more. Now he had a boyfriend all the constant flirting might finally die down.

"Is he cute? I gotta know" ladybug asked.

"Very. He's such a sweetheart. I bet if we could know identities and stuff you'd probably be good friends with him" cat replied.

"Ahh! He sounds great. I'm proud of you kitty. I promise we'll talk and sort everything out as soon as you're available ok? I don't want anything to come between us"

"I don't want that either, we can fix things I promise. I have to go, I have medication to take and dinner to eat. I'll talk to you soon ok?"

"Alright, I'm glad to hear from you. Maybe the media will finally stop asking questions now. Rest as much as you can ok?"

With some final parting goodbyes, the call ended and it felt like a massive weight was lifted off Ladybugs shoulders. Finally she knew Cat Noir was safe, and would be returning soon. And finally they could patch things up and be a team again. She definitely wasn't expecting the boyfriend part, but she was happy for him and could already see him absolutely gate crashing the next pride parade.

This year so far has been a rocky road, but she'd matured at Ladybug and as Marinette. And it seems the same has happened with Cat Noir. There was still a long road to go, she was still young after all and the earth is school where humans learn every single day of their lives. She'd always be learning and growing, but she's definitely made big strides recently.

It seemed that with her kitty in contact again, and healing as best as he could she'd be seeing him again soon. And before she knew it they'd fix things and be the good old Ladybug and Cat Noir duo yet again.