Chapter 31: No Mercy

{Long Chapter Ahead - 4,318 words}

I clenched my jaw and fist out of anger.

"Eren's going to be EATEN?!" I asked Hange. Mikasa and Armin looked terrified at what Hange just said to us that Eren is going to be eaten.

"It's only speculation based on Reiner and Bertholdt's words and actions. But it may be a way for someone to gain Eren's "Titan powers." I'll tell you more while we move." Hange said.

I groaned and was about to walk out but Levi hold me back. "You're losing your patience again. Calm down. You can't let your emotions take over you, Y/N." He said which made me sighed.

"Yeah. You're right. Sorry, I'm just worried for Eren." I said and massaged my temples.

Levi patted my head. "He'll be fine. We'll save him and Historia." He said and I just smiled at him.

Levi, Jean, Sasha and me rode our horses while Hange, Connie and Mikasa rode the wagon and it's Armin who's driving it. Hitch, Marlowe and Moblit are riding their horses too.

"This is the survey report Erwin commissioned of the Reiss estate. If Eren and Historia have fallen into the hands of the Reiss family, as our mission outline supposes, then we can assume that they'll be taken to the estate. Survey corps members disguised as farmers have been conductiong a convert survey of the grounds. Most of their report concerns the detail of an incident involving the Reiss family five years ago."

"The Reiss family was blessed with five children. Of course, that isn't a verg unusual story but the lord had yet another child, an illegitimate daughter, with a servant. And, on the estate, the lord enjoyed an otherwise reputation.

"In particular, his eldest daughter Frieda was loved by all for her guileless character. She was even known to stroll through the fields to thank the farmers for their work. Everyone living on the grounds considered her the estate's pride and joy."

"But...tragedy struck the night wall Maria fell. Marauding bandits had taken advantage of the chaos. Raided the one chapel in the village and set it on fire. It was destroyed. No one in the village saw the men entered. And to make matters worse, that night, the entire Reiss family had gathered in the chapel to pray together after the breach in the wall. The bandits massacred every member of the family, except for the lord, Rod Reiss."

"This all toook place just days before Historia's mother was killed by military police from the interior."

"Right after losing his family, Rod Reiss suddenly began planning to make contact with Historia. That must have something to do with why they wanted her."

Rod Reiss plans on using his daughter on something, does he?

"Blood ties. Is there something special with that bloodline?" Levi asked.

"Where are they now?!" Mikasa asked.

"Well, let's leave that topic for another time. What caught my attention was the fact that the chapel was destroyed. It was a sturdy building, made of stone. Not wood. Even stone building weaken after a fire, but that would mean that bandits just happened to be carrying siege weapons around. Why would common robbers need to destroy a building? Bandit's world just take what they wanted and leave quickly."

I gritted my teeth and looked at Hange. "And the only person who saw that happened was Rod Reiss. Don't tell me he immediately rebuilt the chapel using his own assets?" I said which surprised Hange.

"Y-yeah...You're right, Y/N. You're scary smart." Hange said.

"Why would he do that?" Hange asked. "It's even stranger when you consider that there were no titans there. I may be jumping to conclusions but any place that suspiscious should be worth checking out!" Hange said.