Chapter 44

Ethan POV

It was the final race of the season and my last chance to win the Formula 1 World Championship this season. I was in prime position to win it right now, leading the Grand Prix with Max Verstappen 10 seconds behind me. However, Max Verstappen was chasing behind me and reeling me in very quickly with his new set of medium compound tyres. Even though my hard tyres feel fine, they have been on my car since the contact I had in the first lap. There aren't much life left in my current set of tyres and I my advantage was decreasing lap by lap.

David Greenwood: Ethan, how are the tyres?

Ethan: Not that great.

David Greenwood: Do you think you can go to the end with this set?

Ethan: Yeah I'll try.

Now, I need to sacrifice even more pace to try and conserve my tyres and go to the end with this set. There are 20 laps left and I will have to nurse my tyres. With Max Verstappen and George Russell chasing behind, my lead out front was diminishing by at least one second per lap. These tyres are not going to last the distance, and with that I need to make the call myself. There was no choice, the gap was closing and I had to pit. It was time for plan b.

Ethan: I can't stay out any longer, these tyres are going to pop soon. 

David Greenwood: Copy, box this lap. Soft tyres, pit confirm.

Strapping on a set of fresh soft tyres and with 15 laps to go, I was feeling much more comfortable in the car right now. Pushing these tyres and the car to the limit, I became the fastest car on the grid. Even though I have dropped back to third place and 15 seconds behind the 2 cars in front, I was gaining lap after lap. My chances of winning the championship have once again came back alive. With 5 laps to go, I was right behind George Russell. I stayed behind him on turn 5 and slingshotted out of the hairpin, tucked behind his slipstream, I was gaining an extra 12mph with the help of DRS. Heading into the braking zone of turn 6, I pulled alongside the Mercedes driver and tried to go around the outside which turns into the inside for the right hander of turn 7. Squeezing him out onto the runoff area, I made the pass and soldiered on to Max Verstappen who was 2 seconds in front of me.

Legends say catching up is one thing and overtaking is another, this quote was proven true as it only took me 2 laps to catch up to Max Verstappen but I couldn't seem to overtake him. The laps were running out and I need to think of something quick. Max Verstappen was holding out the lead with all the experience he had and the elbows were out. I had a look into turn 6 and turn 9 with the help of DRS but it didn't work. Entering the final lap, it was all or nothing. I followed Max Verstappen through the whole first sector and saw my chance heading into the hairpin. I dived down the inside of the Red Bull car into turn 5 praying that I would make the move stick.......

And it very much did. On the exit of turn 5, I looked behind my mirrors and saw the Red Bull car behind me. It was a very optimistic move, but it was one that worked out. After that, I kept my calm, held Max Verstappen behind and finally I was able to see the chequered flag. Crossing the line, the fireworks are out, I could see my team celebrating inside the pit lane. I couldn't believe this moment, I am finally a Formula 1 World Champion. I had done it in my rookie season. Inside my helmet I was in tears. I still couldn't believe that I had won my first ever World Champion on my rookie season, this was what I had dreamed of since I was a kid and I had managed to continue the legacy that my dad started.