Episode 2

"Golden Skans", Klaxons

There was a clearing in the forest near our home where Amaury and I loved to go to spar and train. It was often in these moments that he confided in me the most. Not in the quiet evenings near the chimney, but when our swords crossed with the sound of the wind in the branches of the old oak trees and chestnuts. I knew his loneliness, his feeling of not belonging anywhere as well as the sense of responsibility crushing his soul and his desires.

I also told him many stories of my own life on these mornings.

It was there that I had told him one day what I had not said to anyone before and, as a matter of fact, since: who I was when I was a mortal and how I died. I remember he listened to me attentively and then wrapped me in his arms without a word.

Our connection was unique, and I have never felt something similar with anyone else. He had been in my life only for a few decades but I knew right away that he was and will ever be my best friend. Was he not the only one who knew my real name?

When I saw him at the Pearl that night, it hit me like lightning. He was alive. He had been an immortal for hundreds of years and I had not been there for him. It was not a chain of thoughts, but more a mass of feelings suffocating my heart.

I wanted to take him in my arms so badly but the minute I made a move towards him he disappeared in the crowd. I did not know if he had seen me and I could not find him. Yet I knew I had not dreamt it. I could feel it in my bones. Amaury was alive.

I explained the situation to Aidan. "How do you feel?" He said.

"I want to see him, my love. I need to. It has been so long. What happened to him? These scars. It took a moment for me to recognize him, but it was him. I did not think I would see him again. I have to find him."

I was overwhelmed, and I could not recollect my thoughts. It was as if all these centuries had been reconfigured in my mind and I could not reconcile them with my memories.

"We'll find him," Aidan said. "Let's try a spell with Anna."

Back to my apartment, I looked for an object of his. As his sword had disappeared, I chose a signet ring with Amaury's initials. Anna tried to locate him and a map of golden streaks of light appeared faintly on the wood of my desk. A bright point showed the ring owner's presence. It was the address of a luxury hotel on Christine Street.

It was almost dawn but I could not wait any longer.

The streets of the Latin Quarter were empty as the darkness was lightening. The hotel had an industrial 19th-century feel, with glass and metal. The blue flowers on both sides of the entrance door with the red carpet and wooden furniture in the lobby looked cozy and elegant.

When I entered the hotel, I concentrated and I realized that I could not feel Amaury's presence. He had left. I decided to see his room anyway to try to find something that could guide me to him.

I talked to the night clerk. "Good morning, I am Amaury De Chaceney's wife. Could you give me a second key to our room, please?" While speaking I manipulated the stone of my necklace. The clerk hesitated for a minute but, when his eyes met the blue glow of the pendant, he smiled.

"Of course, Madam. Here is another key for the room... 125."

"Thank you very much. You are so kind."

I took the stairs to the first level and opened Amaury's room door. The whiteness of the linen contrasted with the dark wood of the furniture. There was a navy blue couch and a coffee table near an imposing wardrobe.

The room seemed almost unused, except for three elements. An unpacked suitcase near the bed, my husband's sword lying on the desk, and a piece of paper on the coffee table. It was a letter, dated January 1, 2001, and addressed to me. The paper was in a bad shape, as if the letter had been read and read again, and folded to be kept in one's pocket.

I read it.