Episode 28

"More", 5 Seconds of Summer

The smoke of Sonia's cigarette invaded the room, and Anna squinted.

The young immortal put a white crystal in the middle of an intricate system of lines, drawn on the table with sand. "Like this?" She said.

Sonia mumbled something with the cigarette in her mouth and waved her hand to tell her she could continue. She then put the cigarette out in a glass of water and came closer to the table.

"One of you knows how to pass your power?" She asked us.

"Yes, I do," Amaury answered.

"So do I," I added.

"Me too," Aidan said at the same time.

"Since when?" James asked him.

"I learned recently," he answered, casting a glance at me.

"Okay then. You all come here and form a circle. Grab the hand of the person next to you and focus."

We did as she said. She started to chant while Anna joined her. As the recitation grew louder, we focused on the stone. Lines of gold appeared around our wrists like light chains bonding us together. When the circle was complete, the lines extended toward the crystal in the middle of the table.

As soon as all the streaks of light joined at the center, there was a soft explosion, and the stone brightened. Then everything disappeared, and the crystal turned into a deep blue color, almost black.

"It's done," Sonia said.

"Thank you so much," I answered.

She lighted immediately another cigarette. "Don't. The crystal will do the job, but it won't be enough. You fools have nothing better to do than fighting a demon?"

"We have to do it."

"Yeah, yeah. Good luck with that."

She was going to leave the room but before doing it, she took a step toward me and put her hand on my arm. She did not say a word, but I knew she wanted to show me she respected my decision. I nodded to signify that I did understand what she was telling me. And she left.

I took the crystal in my hand and brought it in front of my eyes to watch it closely. I could see veins of color on the stone, almost as if a mist was moving inside it. It was mesmerizing. I squeezed it tightly in my hand and I took a deep breath.

We were one step closer.