Episode 8

"Alien", Dennis Lloyd

This first meeting between Aidan and Amaury went well. None of them were at ease at first but I tried to make them comfortable by leading the conversation and showing both of them how much I cared. Aidan overcame his insecurities, particularly when he saw that the immortal was not showing any sign of despise for his vampiric nature.

I invited Amaury to come and spar with me at my mansion on l'île Saint-Louis the afternoon of the day after. When I woke up, I turned toward Aidan who was still sleeping. I rested my head on his chest.

"Good morning, my love," he said.

"Good morning. I am sorry. I did not want to wake you up."

"It's alright. There is no better way to be wakened up." He kissed me on the forehead and held me.

"What do you think about brunch?" I asked.

We went to a famous brunch spot in the Marais, where they always had a selection of cakes and pies to die for. After everything that had happened the night before, I was starving. We had croissants, nice coffee with cream, and lemon pie.

"He seems like a nice guy," Aidan said.

"Amaury?"

"Yes. He looked sad, though."

"I know. There is something that he is not telling me. But I am so glad to have him back in my life. I do not want to be pushy."

"You mean, as I was with you?"

I tilted my head. "My love, no. That is not what I meant."

He smiled. "I know. I'm kidding. Anyway, I look forward to knowing him better."

"I am very glad you feel this way. He is an incredible person and so are you. I am sure you will get along very well."

After brunch, I met Amaury, and we sparred like old times. He was already a great fighter when he was a mortal but his skills had advanced immensely since then.

"Can I ask how you became immortal?" I finally asked. "If you do not want to tell me, it is perfectly alright, but ... you disappeared back then, and I thought you were dead. I... I elaborated in my mind dozens of scenarios since this moment, trying to understand what happened."

Amaury looked at me with sadness in his eyes. "You can ask, of course. It's not something that I like to talk about, but I understand that it's also a part of your history." He sighed. "As you know, I was gone for a military mission but I never got there. I was attacked on the road and kept prisoner. They were thieves who wanted to avenge a friend of theirs who had been executed a few months before by my father. They took me and kept me for a long time... well, they wanted to have fun. " His fingers ran across his scars. "And one day, they just got rid of me."

It broke my heart. The memory of those days when he had disappeared came back to me so vividly. The anguish of not knowing. The helplessness. And now, I had the images of him being tortured in my mind. I did not want to know more. I could not breathe.

Sensing my distress, he whispered: "It's okay, darling. It was a long time ago."

I wrapped my arms around him and held him tight. "I am so sorry you had to go through that. I should have been there. I..."

He stroked my back. "There was nothing you could have done."

"And then, when you came back to life, I had already left, is that it? God, I am so mad at myself."

"Yes, unfortunately. I could not find you. But again, you didn't know."

I took a step back to look at him. "I waited, I swear. We... we searched for you, everywhere. But nothing. And the thing is, I sensed you were gone. At the exact moment it happened, I... I felt this cold in my heart. It overwhelmed me. I knew it was over but I did not understand that you had simply turned into something else. I was so upset. I could not stay in our home. It was too hard. So I hid by myself for quite a long time before I found the strength to start a new life." A tear rolled down my face. "But you were alive."

"We are together now. It's all that matters." He pulled me back against him.

" He pulled me back against him