Episode 18

James' Journal

April102018.mp3

Amaury came to the club last night to tell us his lead was dead. As you can imagine, nobody knew what to say. Awkward silence and all. Stress, guilt, whatever. It happens once a week these days. Someone thinks he has found something, and then... nope. Nothing.

"I'm going to figure this out," he said. And louder: "I have to."

He then left in anger. I followed him to try to calm him down. He was pacing the back alley behind the club.

"I can't calm down," he said. "We've been looking for this Alastair for three months for fuck's sake. And nothing. We have no idea where she is." He hit the wall with his fist, and his voice broke when he added: "And it's all my fault."

I frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm just back into her life and, of course, something happens to her. I'm cursed."

"That's bullshit. Elise is a powerful immortal. She does things her own way, and not everyone likes that kind of independence, of freedom, unfortunately. That's it. That's why she was targeted. It has nothing to do with you."

He looked at me with a sense of urgency in his eyes. "I can't lose her."

"I can't either."

"I don't want... to die alone."

"You will not be alone."

He has only one month left. And to be frank, nobody really had the time to work on his problem. Not even himself. We have no idea where to start, and it's already a full-time job to try to find Elise. Amaury traveled everywhere, questioning other immortals, but we can't find something useful. Alastair has just disappeared, and he is clearly helped by powerful sorcerers.

"You are not alone," I said as I took a step closer. I brushed my fingers on his cheek and kissed him on the lips, but he pushed me away.

"I can't. With everything that is going on. Elise is missing. And in one month, I... I can't, I'm sorry."

"I understand."

He looked me in the eyes. "I'm sorry."

I didn't answer, and he opened the door to go back to the club. It took me a minute to follow him. I stayed for a moment in the dark street.

I thought about drinking human blood. It happens more and more these days. I haven't told Aidan yet. He has other things to think about. Sometimes I look at Ahmed or Lucas, and the only thing I see is the vein in their neck. In those moments, I always hear Elise's voice in my head. I remember the vision she showed me during my last relapse. It helps, but only for a moment. I know I need to talk to Aidan but I don't want to be a burden.

Deep breath. You can do this, you stupid son of a bitch.