Episode 11

"Porto-Vecchio (Acoustic version)", Julien Doré

The day after, it was as if I had spent all my time filling everyone in on the situation, telling Ethan, Anna, and Aidan about Amaury. I had been in a ready-for-a-fight kind of mood all day. I dug up old documents in my archives hoping to find something useful. I called Sonia and we agreed to meet whenever she would have done some research of her own.

Amaury did not want to tell me the details of what had happened. He said again and again that there was nothing that could be done. However, there were not many creatures capable of cursing an immortal. It was already a direction to look at. There was another source of information that I could appeal to, the library of the Council. But with what had occurred recently, I had to know more before saying anything to them.

At the end of the day, I felt exhausted and more helpless than ever. I tried to read a book to change my mind, but I could not think about anything else. James texted me to know if I needed something. I told him I would be happy if he could come and see me at my apartment.

Half an hour later, he rang at the door, with two bottles of Bourbon in his hands. I laughed. "No such thing as too much, right?"

He nodded.

We sat on the couch, and I told him about Amaury. This time, I do not know why, I could not even finish the story. I just burst into tears.

James' face crumpled. He did not know what to say, but he took me in his arms until my sobs got fainter. "You're going to find a solution, love. I have no doubt in my mind."

"I am so afraid of losing him again. Not now, that I just got him back. And I do not feel he is really fighting against it. I think he has given up on life, and it is killing me. I should have been there for him. He should not have felt that alone."

"He's not alone anymore. That's what's important."

"Yes. But he does not want to tell me what I need to know to help him. I have no clue what to do."

"You want me to talk to him?"

When I laughed, he pretended to be shocked.

"I am sorry, darling. I did not want to offend you," I said. "But, apart from when you are with me, you are not exactly the most tactful person among us, you know? And that is part of your charm. But..."

He rolled his eyes. "Thank you for the vote of confidence. It's just that I feel this guy has been through a lot, and maybe he could relate to a mess like me."

I put my arms around his neck and hugged him.

"Thank you very much. I need all the help I can get. And you are not a mess. You are a drama queen. Not the same thing."