Episode 17

Aidan's journal

James came and talked to me.

The light was strong and almost joyous today, but I just couldn't take the warmth coming from the window panes. I feel like I'm living in the dark as if time had stopped two months ago. I cannot even believe it has been two months. Every day seems like an eternity.

I'm grateful James is here, though. When I am upset, I tend to sink into my obscurity, but he explodes in chaos, and this kind of energy keeps me from drowning, even if I know it is another form of danger. In a way, we balance each other.

I was sitting on my couch, going through some of the documents from the Council archives that Abosede had given me, when he laid down beside me, his head on my lap. 

"You've checked that ten times already, love," he said. "There is nothing to find."

I kept on reading the papers without looking at him.

"I have to tell you something," he continued. I knew what he was doing. He was trying to keep my mind off of my worries. In fact, he was worried about me. "It's about Amaury."

"You are in love with him."

He looked at me, but I kept my eyes on the book. "So it's that obvious?"

"Well, you're not exactly a master in the art of hiding your emotions," I said.

"Does he know?"

"I think he does."

We stayed quiet. I thought about the impending moment of Amaury's death. I thought about James. I thought about Elise. I thought about losing someone you cannot live without. 

"She changed my life," I said.

I had not moved my eyes from the paper I was holding. James took my other hand and kissed it.

"I know," he said.

"I didn't think that I could feel what I feel when I'm with her. It's killing me, James, her absence. I can't breathe."

"I know."

"Aren't you afraid?"

"Of what?"

"Amaury's curse."

"I'm terrified."

I finally looked at him. He sat up and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

A bird landed near the window and we could hear, as if far away, the sounds of the city. We stayed in silence, teased by the light in the courtyard, coming at us as if nothing had changed.

 We stayed in silence, teased by the light in the courtyard, coming at us as if nothing had changed