Episode 27

"Sail away", David Gray

"For a while... I've been thinking about drinking human blood again," James said. "I haven't done it for now. But I don't know if I can resist it much longer."

As I was training all day, alone in the mansion, James met me in the studio. After a few hours, we sat against the wall to talk. I asked him how he was, and the answer confirmed my concerns.

"You know that you can fight it. I am sure that Aidan told you so already."

After a silence, he said: "He doesn't know."

I stood up. "What? You did not tell him?" I yelled louder than I would have wanted to. "You have to tell him. You know that you cannot do this by yourself. You have to get some help." I was so upset, images of his pain breaking through my mind. What if I were not there any longer? What would happen to him? "You should have told Aidan when I was not there to help you."

I had never talked to him like that, and I saw he was scared of my reaction. The panic made him snap. "You were not there," he said. "I thought you were dead. Aidan was diving into anger, fear, and despair." He talked faster and louder. "I felt so guilty about my inability to do anything. And there was Amaury. He rejected me, Elise. I did not know what to do. I don't know what to do. You were not there. I thought I had lost you, and now I may lose him. I'm sorry I'm disappointing you. I just don't know what to do."

I took him in my arms. "I am sorry, honey. Please, calm down. It is okay. You are not disappointing me. I should not have yelled at you. I am just worried about you, that is all."

"I can't tell him, Elise. I'm ashamed."

"Honey, he is your best friend. He loves you. There is nothing you can do that would make him think less of you. But preventing him from helping you? You know he would be very sad and angry about that."

"Yeah. You're probably right."

"Of course I am." I smiled. "It will be fine, but just talk to him. You are not alone in this. Please, take care of yourself."

He nodded and stayed quiet for a few seconds. "You're going to do it, right? Save Amaury?" He finally asked.

"I will do whatever is necessary to save him. You will not lose him. I promise."

"I can't lose you either."

"Surviving is not my priority."

He looked at me, and a tear rolled down his face.

"Come on, let's forget everything for a few minutes, okay?" I said softly. "Dance with me."

I checked the music app on my phone to find something that would make him laugh and have fun for a moment. "I got what we need," I said and I started "Wannabe" by The Spice Girls. He face-palmed and, while I lip-synched the beginning of the song, he laughed and joined me.

"I love you, you know that?" He said.

"I love you too, honey."