Saturday Night At The Pearl, Episode 16C

"A Forest", The Cure

"Alastair," I called.

The wound on my head from the gunshot was long gone, but blood was dripping from my arm and was collected into bags. A spell kept the wound open so that the blood could be taken just slowly enough to regenerate into a continuous flow. But I could not keep on like that forever. I felt so tired. I had never felt that exhausted in my life, except for the day I had died.

"Alastair," I screamed again.

Attached to the wall with chains, I was sitting on the cold ground. The dark room had a small window too high on the wall for me to see anything. I had awakened in this room and I did not know where I was or how long I had been there for.

Apart from Alastair, two immortals, who I could feel were young, had visited me, mostly to take the blood bags away. They did not speak to me but they looked at me with disdain. Who knows what Alastair had told them about me.

"Alastair," I screamed as loud as I could.

The door opened, and the immortal entered. I tried to catch my breath.

"How... can you do that... to your own?"

"Are you giving me moral lessons? Don't you think it's ironic coming from someone who fraternized with bloodsucker demons," he said with a dark light in his eyes.

"Bloodsucker?... And what are you then?"

"It's different."

I laughed weakly. "Of course, it is, you coward."

He came very close to me. "You have no respect for your heritage. Titus and the Council can be fooled by a cheap sword trick, but I know you are not worthy."

"If my heritage is you, indeed I have none."

Alastair was an Elder, and member of the Council. We had never met before. Until the bastard sent his men to kidnap me. He talked to me about purity, about power, as if he were trying to convince me to join his plan. But he quickly understood our points of view on the world were radically different.

"How many of us do you... have here?"

He took a few steps back. "Enough for now."

"You understand you are going to fail, right?"

"We'll see about that."

"The last immortal who has tried the same thing died."

"Yes, because of you. But as you can see, the situation is different this time."

"I am not alone. Others will stop you."

He looked at me, grinned, and called the young immortal. "Kate, would you change this blood bag, please?"

And while she did that, he got out of the room without a word or a look at me. I took a deep breath and tried to concentrate. I thought about Aidan, Amaury, Ethan, everyone. Maybe they were at the Pearl at this exact moment, trying to understand what had happened to me. Maybe not. But one thing was certain: nobody knew where I was. I had to find a solution by myself.

 I had to find a solution by myself